Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Wednesday of the Twenty-Sixth Week in Ordinary Time

http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/092811.cfm


How could I not look sad
when the city where my ancestors are buried lies in ruins,
and its gates have been eaten out by fire?"


Foxes have dens and birds of the sky have nests,
but the Son of Man has nowhere to rest his head."


Saint Augustine said it as well as anyone ever has: Our hearts are restless until they rest in thee.

A few weeks ago the New Yorker Magazine ran a speculative article about the evolution of homo sapiens and our relationship with neanderthal man. There seems to have been little difference between the two species of great apes. If a neanderthal man were to be dressed in suit and tie and walking along Wall Street in New York City today, he would stir little interest around him.
The difference between the species may be more spiritual. We have a tendency to do crazy things like exploring vast oceans in canoes and building towers to see over the horizon. We're also given to caring for one another, even at the risk of our individual wellbeing.
Soon after I read the article, my brother remarked, "You know, there are a lot of crazy people around." I had to agree with him. It seems like every group I've joined or worked with has a disproportionate number of oddballs. Eventually I might conclude, "Everybody is crazy but you and me and I'm not so sure about you."

If I were to put a theological spin on this observation, homo sapiens is eternally restless, discontent, searching for something more than we have. Although we are earthlings and cannot live anywhere else, we don't really belong here either. If we experience any satisfaction, it's only for the moment. And whatever that momentary pleasure was, it wasn't emough. Once is never enough. We want more.

Nehemiah, in his privileged position of wine steward to the Emperor Artaxerxes, could not hide his misery even in the presence of the Sovereign. Nor could Artaxerxes ignore his subordinate's unhappiness; his heart was moved with pity for the homesick Jew. He might have regarded him as an ungrateful alien, considering all the luxury and perquisites the wine steward should enjoy; but instead he felt compassion for a fellow human being, and sent him on a mission to rebuild Jerusalem.

Jesus also knew that heartsickness, perhaps even more acutely. His being God did not exempt him from the ache of longing.

Our gravest danger is the temptation to satisfy ourselves with things less than God; and to pursue one pleasure after another, and one privilege after another in the vain attempt to be happy.  Nothing in this world is worth such devotion. We must finally be content in our discontent, confident that God will satisfy our longing, full measure and flowing over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.