Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Memorial of Saint Charles Lwanga and Companions, Martyrs

Lectionary: 298


 I revealed your name to those whom you gave me out of the world.
They belonged to you, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word.




We are approaching the end of the Easter Season. Next Sunday we will celebrate Pentecost. Our readings from the Acts of the Apostles and the Gospel of John recount the farewell discourses of Saint Paul and the Lord Jesus. Jesus begins his final prayer before his crucifixion with, “Father, the hour has come.”


I have been writing this “homily blog” for over four years and, I think, the time has come to say farewell. I have heard it said that the best preacher has only two or three sermons at any given time. He repeats himself often. I don’t know how often I have repeated myself in 1606 posts but I think I have said everything I need to say. It’s time to take a break. I will write my last post in this homily blog on Pentecost Sunday. I am reassured in this decision by the many good opportunities you have as a reader to find other and similar blogs.


I am not retiring from the chaplaincy at the VA and I expect to remain at Mount Saint Francis for the time being. Nothing in a Franciscan’s life is forever.
Leaving Ephesus Saint Paul said, “And so I solemnly declare to you this day that I am not responsible for the blood of any of you, for I did not shrink from proclaiming to you the entire plan of God.”

His ministry was proclamation of God’s plan. That is never the work of one person. God has endless resources and innumerable ways to remind us of his gracious presence in our lives.
As I have written this blog I have never forgotten the primary way of knowing the Lord is in the flesh and blood community of disciples. There is no substitute for going to church. Preaching happens in the church, not on television, radio or the internet. And I have my doubts about the amplifier. The word of God comes to us in the voice of a human being. Not even the Bible can replace the immediate presence of a real person and a real community with sweat and blood and smell.


Saint Paul labored strenuously in Ephesus to build a solid community with well-trained, carefully selected leaders who would carry on the work he began. There was grief when he left, naturally, but confidence that the Church would thrive without him. The Holy Spirit cannot fail. As the psalmist says today:


A bountiful rain you showered down, O God, upon your inheritance;
you restored the land when it languished;
Your flock settled in it;
in your goodness, O God, you provided for the needy.

1 comment:

  1. I will truly miss my daily visit to your homily blog! Thank you for your 1606 homlies, that is an astonishing number of reflections! You are a gift, and you have been generous in sharing your faith and ministry. Heartfelt thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.