Sunday, October 22, 2017

Twenty-ninth Sunday in Ordinary Time


Lectionary: 145


For our gospel did not come to you in word alone, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with much conviction.


Most of us would rather be persuaded to do something than forced to do it. Especially in religious affairs we don't want something "forced down my throat." The American experiment has proven the viability of the gospel, even the Catholic reading of the gospel, within the marketplace of ideas. In an open debate, it could stand up against any and all religions with a presentation that is coherent, beautiful and appealing to any thoughtful person.
But the Gospel is not an idea, and believing the Gospel doesn't come when one is persuaded of its truthiness. I may believe a movie is worth seeing but never see it; or a symphony is worth hearing and never hear it. It takes more than a good idea to change the way people think, believe, love, live and die.
Saint Paul came to Thessalonica not with a Bible -- that would not be collated and published for many centuries -- but with the Holy Spirit. He would speak to anyone who would listen to him but it was the Spirit who persuaded them. He had the same moral convictions of any Jew of his time, but he didn't have a moralizing agenda. He would speak of"Jesus Christ and him crucified" and watch as the Spirit gathered a congregation.
Of  course there was some naivete in this approach. The net would catch all kinds of fish, some apparently less desirable than others. Such is life in the Church.
Sometimes we have to let God and his angels sort that out.
In our time we often find people choosing their own church. They look for their own kind of people: politically, racially, economic or religiously. The automobiles allowed great freedom of choice.
As the priest I don't have or want that choice. I go where I'm sent and try to welcome whoever shows up. In the hospital chapel I don't know from one day to the next who or if anyone will appear. (One woman always comes late and leaves at the sign of peace. I have no idea why she does that.)
But I am grateful that, almost without fail, I have someone to greet me, "and with your spirit." in power and in the Holy Spirit and with much conviction. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.