Friday, June 29, 2018

Solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul, Apostles


Mass during the Day Lectionary: 591


I will give you the keys to the Kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

I met a young Veteran in the psych ward recently. Abandoned by his alcoholic, quarrelsome parents he was raised by his grandmother and sometimes attended a Catholic church with her. That was his claim to being Catholic.
Harmless and amiable when sober, he was sure demons caused most of his trouble, a superstition he had picked up from one of his wives. He was astonished when I reminded him that he had not been plagued with these imps during his occasional periods of sobriety. 
He still talks to his ex-wife; both care about their children. "You want a substantial relationship with these people." I said. I went on to explain the word substance to him. He has been in treatment for substance abuse and hopes to return to the Substance Abuse Residential Rehabilitation Treatment Program, known in the VA by its acronym, SARRTP. 
substantial relationship binds people together. A husband and wife believe their marriage is more important than either one of them; they will not permit anything as cheap as alcohol, drugs or cigarettes to come between them. 
A parent offers a child that substantial relationship and the faithful child responds accordingly. Children have a holy fear of violating that bond, though they might not say so with those words. I think of the teen who declared, "I would never commit suicide. My dad would kill me if I did!" That substantial relationship should endure into adulthood as the parent must eventually rely on the child.
Catholics know the word substantial from the Nicene Creed when we say of Jesus each Sunday, "(he is) consubstantial with the Father." We also speak of transubstantiation when we try to explain the Blessed Sacrament.
The human being naturally seeks substantial relationships with other people and with God. We are never satisfied with food, drink, shelter and warmth. Education, opportunity, health care and security are also important; as are rest, recreation and leisure; but none of those satisfactions can replace the need for a substantial relationship. Without it, life has no meaning.
Tragically, many people are disappointed in love and turn to other substances. Because the substantial relationship is necessarily one of commitment, brokenhearted souls turn to obsessive-compulsive habits, cigarettes, alcohol and illicit drugs. Having stepped over that line and found a modicum of satisfaction, it is very hard to step back.
My young friend was astonished with this Catholic commonplace. He had just told his daughter on the phone, "You are my drug!" He didn't realize how close he was to the truth. He now believes he has found a way out of his addiction. 
Of course, he has much to learn and, as he sets out on the path of sobriety, he will soon realize the fragility of a simple insight. It takes more than an idea to set one's life aright. Perhaps he will explore his Grandmother's faith and discover the intoxicating joy of the Blessed Sacrament, of communion with the Wedding Guest at Cana. Perhaps he will learn to let the Holy Spirit, who is consubstantial with the Father and the Son, guide his impulses, thoughts, desires and actions. He will learn that God the Father is intoxicated with him and his wife and children, and willing to sacrifice his only begotten Son for their salvation. 
On this feast of the Apostles Peter and Paul, I pray that they are bound on Earth and in Heaven, and the Gates of Hell cannot dissolve their substance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.