Sunday, August 19, 2018

Twentieth Sunday in Ordinary Time


The Jews quarreled among themselves, saying,
"How can this man give us his flesh to eat?"

During this past Lent and again during the Easter season, I reflected on John 3:16 ("For God so loved the world...") and its reference to Genesis 22, the sacrifice of Isaac. Because we are created in the image and likeness of God, and that "likeness" is specifically our free will, God cannot save us by force. There is no power in heaven or earth that can deliver us from ourselves without our consent. Nor will a halfhearted "Yeah, okay, whatever you say" do.
Salvation depends upon a readiness like that of Abraham who, after a lifetime of knowing the Lord was ready to say, "Here I am!" immediately, in the very moment he heard God's voice. Even as he raised the knife, about to slay his son, driven by a passion bordering on madness, he could stop everything when the Lord shouted at him, "Abraham! Abraham!"
The Church recounts that story often because we understand it prefigures the Sacrifice of the Cross. Just as Abraham "so loved" the Lord that he would give his only beloved son, so does God love us. He has given his only beloved son. A parent would sooner kill himself than his only child, but that does not satisfy the Love of God. God demanded so much of Abraham because God would give more than he could afford; when he gave us his only begotten son.
We hear that same astonishing, radical, overwhelming offer in today's gospel from John 6. But this time it is Jesus who makes the offer, rather than the Father. The "Jews" are dumbfounded when they hear Jesus declare,
"I am the living bread that came down from heaven;
whoever eats this bread will live forever;
and the bread that I will give
is my flesh for the life of the world.
Is it possible that he will give his own flesh? They demand, "How can this man give us his flesh to eat?"
We'll hear another response next Sunday, "This saying is hard; who can accept it?" It's interesting that they don't say, "This is madness!" or "A demon has possessed you!"
Rather, "This saying is too hard. Who can accept it?" It may or may not make sense but that's not the point. Their question is, "If I accept it what will it cost me?" "Who can accept it?" means, "What kind of person would be drawn into this statement, into this relationship with the Lord?"

Yesterday, we heard an answer, "Let the children come to me, and do not prevent them; for the Kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."
Of course, as Nicodemus realized, an adult cannot revert to infancy or childhood. We cannot forget our experience of disappointment and betrayal. We can only bring our memories with us when we come to the Lord. Abraham was not a foolish young man when he heard God's demand. We do not "forgive and forget." We remember and forgive.
The half-grown adult might say, "Yeah, okay, whatever you say." Confronted by a parent, teacher or police officer, realizing authority will have its way, this person submits to power. Many people believe there is no other authority but power.
The faithful Christian coming to the Lord as an adult with a lifetime of experience freely and completely chooses to give more than she can afford. There is no unspoken, "I have no choice." hidden behind this willingness. The response must be intentional, eager, willing, generous, courageous, joyful and complete.
But if not by force, power or coercion, how does one manage such a feat. Is there a switch somewhere in my heart that I can throw that will enable what naked aggression cannot accomplish? Is this like not forcing a jammed electronic device and waiting to discover it will click into place with no effort whatsoever?
Some people suppose they can save themselves by "will power." They will quit drinking alcohol, smoking or lusting by will power. But can the will force itself to do something it does not will to do? That makes no sense. 
I suppose we could call it love but that overused word means nothing anymore. If I prefer the word spirit it's in reference to the sublimely mysterious Trinity.  
Only the Spirit of God can make this happen in me. I am certainly not capable of such consent. But Jesus put it differently, "For this reason I have told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by my Father." 
And so we pray and wait and watch expectantly as the Lord draw us into the life of the Trinity, as iron is drawn to a magnet. 

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps this post can create a chiaroscuro effect upon Tuesday’s revelations by the Pennsylvania grand jury. The revelations were not bright light but dreadful, overwhelming darkness. If a light will shine in this darkness, a light which cannot be overcome, it is by those who “give more than they can afford” to the Lord.

    The Catholic Church has required such a sacrifice of its priests. I, for one, have experienced celibacy as unbearable; it is a cross I would not have carried on the way to ordination were it not assigned to me. In these latter years of my ministry I do not regret my acceptance of this burden; despite the remorse, guilt and shame of my sins against it. I hope it has been a blessing for others; and, with that confidence, I will claim it as a blessing for me. For which I am grateful.

    Married men and women, by their fidelity, also experience the challenge to give more than they can afford. I have witnessed that. I am often astonished by their courage and I praise God for it.

    The revelations of predatory priests and conspiratorial bishops have shown that some clerics were not willing to give more than they could afford. The former were not willing to carry the cross of celibacy; the latter, to bear the full responsibilities of their office. Apparently some bishops quailed before their duty to call in the civil authorities when there was grave suspicion of a heinous crime. They feared the firestorm that might ensue, and prepared a way for one far worse.

    When the Lord gives us a cross we have a choice, but no option. There is no other path but that of perdition. Today we hear the invitation and the challenge of Jesus again, “...unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.”

    Those unwilling to pay no more than they can afford are good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.

    Let us pray for our Church.

    Father Ken Bartsch, OFM Conv.

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.