Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Tuesday of the Seventh Week in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 342

You who fear the LORD, wait for his mercy, turn not away lest you fall. 
You who fear the LORD, trust him, and your reward will not be lost.
You who fear the LORD, hope for good things, for lasting joy and mercy.
You who fear the LORD, love him, and your hearts will be enlightened.


Tomorrow, we enter the season of Lent. We will assume the right posture of standing in justice and prepared for trials. These trials will consist less of appropriate penitential exercises than of the revelations the Lord might give us. With great mercy, the LORD reveals our sins to us. 

Passing through phases of remorse, regret, shame, or humiliation we may anticipate relief and greater freedom to walk in the way of Jesus. Like Bartimaeus, upon hearing the Lord's invitation, we will toss off the old cloak and follow in his footsteps with eyes newly opened. 

In the practice of the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous, I discovered the joy of penance, especially as the group gathered week after week to discuss "How I work the Program and how the Program works for me." Newbies might weep through their stories of shame and regret but they soon shake off their remorse to laugh at themselves and their insane behaviors. They find an astonishing new strength and willingness to let go of resentments. Enlightened and taking themselves lightly, they walk with a lighter step. 

Like today's passage from Ecclesiasticus, the Scriptures consistently speak of walking in the Fear of the Lord. We enter the Church and approach the altar with reverence, remembering who is present for us. He is so very glad to see our coming. 

Many devout people celebrate Mardi Gras today with an eager willingness to enter Lent tomorrow. They will wake up without a hangover, refreshed and ready to stand before the Lord in justice and fear, prepared for trials.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.