Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Wednesday of the Twenty-first Week in Ordinary Time


 Lectionary: 427

And for this reason we too give thanks to God unceasingly,
that, in receiving the word of God from hearing us,
you received it not as the word of men, but as it truly is, the word of God,
which is now at work in you who believe.


Anyone who has announced the Gospel and seen its transforming power in the life of others can say, "I didn't do that! They might be enormously grateful for what I said, but I didn't say it. It was the Holy Spirit." 

And every preacher can tell you of the gratitude of people who heard what they never said! Or even thought of! But something they said triggered a string of thoughts in that person's mind which brought about a radical and healing transformation. They can only be grateful that they happened to be there, like midwives, when something wonderful happened, and that their words may have inspired it. 

Indeed, these blessed persons "had received it not as the word of men but as it truly is, the word of God." 

In the meanwhile, the preacher marches on with their awareness of sin, shame, and guilt, all too aware of culpability and failure to believe in God's word and walk in God's path. God's hand has done a mighty work, and they can say in all honesty... 

...we hold this treasure in earthen vessels, that the surpassing power may be of God and not from us. (2 Cor 4:7)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.