Monday, February 12, 2024

Monday of the Sixth Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 335

Consider it all joy, my brothers and sisters, when you encounter various trials, for you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.
And let perseverance be perfect, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.


I once received a postcard from a parishioner whose message was oddly worded. Was it a compliment or an insult? When I read it to the pastor, an older man of vast experience, he suggested that I assume my unknown fan meant well. "When in doubt, take it for a compliment." 

I think my bent at the time was to be unhappy, suspicious, and anxious. I have often returned to his advice. The Spirit and the Scriptures often turn our human expectations on their head. "Consider it all joy when you encounter various trials." 

When the unexpected happens, I am not usually in the mood for a challenge, distraction, or adventure. My best response might be, "Now what?" But, more likely, "What the....?" 

Prayer and the Gospels teach us patience. The great day of judgement is not today. There is still time to get it wrong and set it right. We have much to learn, much to experience, and a long way yet to go. Every step is only a step and nothing is ever complete; and so, let it be. 

If it makes no sense we follow the Apostle's advice and, "Ask God for wisdom." It will be given generously. The Lord is not finished with me yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.