Monday, April 29, 2024

Memorial of Saint Catherine of Siena, Virgin and Doctor of the Church

Lectionary: 285

Master, then what happened that you will reveal yourself to us
and not to the world?"
Jesus answered and said to him,
"Whoever loves me will keep my word,
and my Father will love him,
and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him.
Whoever does not love me does not keep my words;
yet the word you hear is not mine
but that of the Father who sent me.


If I didn't believe the Scriptures are the Word of God, I might regard the disciple's question as more serious than the Lord's answer. The question is very real, a continual dilemma for Jews and Christians alike: Why are we blessed and not them? The response, which comes as two verses in the form of a "negative-positive restatement," is like that of John 3:16-17. It is as serious as the question but it doesn't seem to answer it. 

Why aren't all people saved? If the Gospel is not in fact announced to every creature as the Lord commanded, if it is so obscured by Christian treachery that its hearers are more scandalized than edified, then isn't it grossly unfair that the unevangelized and unchurched must go to Hell. What about those people who were born before Jesus? And unbaptized babies? And the insane who are driven by demons and cannot know the Lord? 

The questions are endless and disheartening. I recently finished another novel by Cormac McCarthy whose novels explore the despair of those who live beyond the pale of the gospel. His intense dedication to his craft seems the only hope he knew. But art as a religion seems no more satisfying than Epicureanism, entertainment, or the pursuit of wealth. If our hearts are restless until they rest in God, must God stay so far away? 

Do we dare to esteem our privileges of faith and hope in such darkness? Is faith only another illusion, and religion an elaborate denial of the Void which hangs over our heads and looms under our feet? Will there be a Day of Judgment, or only the dying whimper of the last survivor? 

In the wake of two world wars and under the threat of a third and final war, Christians can no longer dismiss the question. Those who raise it are not evil. 

Jesus's reply: "Whoever loves me will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our dwelling with him." remains to the faithful as a promise but it does not answer the problem of evil. 

That can only be found on Calvary. It is found only by those who take up their appointed crosses and follow him to Calvary. 

The question appears in another form in the twenty first chapter of John. Jesus has again commanded Saint Peter to feed my sheep. But rather than an obedient, ready response the disciple asks a question, "What about him?" He is pointing to the Beloved Disciple. He seems to expect an answer. 

The Crucified and Risen Lord replies, “What if I want him to remain until I come? What concern is it of yours? You follow me.”

The Lord's words deserve much thought. First, we hear his authority, "What if I want him to remain...?" He remains as Lord, Savior, and Master of his disciples. No one replaces Jesus; no one equals him; no one may demand an answer from him. 

Secondly, Peter is reminded of his relative authority with the severe words, "What concern is it of yours? You follow me!" 
You will always follow me. I will never be far away. Should I choose to be silent you will wait in silence. 

The Lord's disciple cannot answer the problem of evil except with our lives. Under the threats of nuclear war; climate collapse; and warring, equally unjust economic systems, we must feed his sheep. They are still without a shepherd until we prove by our lives our faith in the One Shepherd. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.