Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Tuesday, Week Two Ordinary Time

The Son of Man is Lord even of the Sabbath.

The Evangelists never asked the 21st century question, “Did Jesus know he was God?”
And thinkers of our time have never answered the question, “How does a person know anything about herself or himself?” Could a single three-pound human brain contain the thought I am God without melting into a soggy mess?
Not finding it to be a very important question, I’ll leave it for others to ponder. They can get back to me after they have decided how many angels can dance on the head of pin.

The Evangelists believed and announced Jesus is “Lord of the Sabbath.”
And so I ask myself the most important question of my life: Am I willing to worship this man?
Worshipping a fellow human being is always risky. Recent history, in particular, is full of sorry tales of men – invariably they are men – who assume the role of God. Eager to idealize and idolize Freedom, confused and weary citizens gave these men complete and absolute freedom. Hitler, Stalin, Amin, Pol Pot and Saddam Hussein did as they wanted because their fellow citizens surrendered their freedom to der fuehrer. They found the freedom God gave them too heavy to bear and ceded it to the worst among them.
If I worship Jesus of Nazareth, he will have to be someone utterly unlike those men. He will have to prove himself worthy of my trust. And, being my God, he will not revoke my right to think, feel, act and be the person I am.
When I contemplate his cross – and each of the gospels is a protracted meditation on the cross – I realize this man alone is worthy of my adoration.
But I can speak only for myself in this matter. What do you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.