Monday, February 15, 2010

Shrove Monday

On this Shrove Monday, two days before Ash Wednesday and the onset of Lent, we hear the Pharisees challenging Jesus, demanding a sign from him.
You might think he has amply demonstrated his authority already, with innumerable healings and displays of power. You might think that he could perhaps give them one more demonstration.
But he says, “No sign will be given!”
What they want is what they lack: faith. And signs and wonders and proofs and overwhelming demonstrations mean nothing to faith.
Faith is something we give freely and willingly to God. We believe in God’s word. We believe in Jesus. Believing that Jesus is God means nothing until we believe in Jesus. For that matter, believing there is a God is useless without faith.
Believing in Jesus means we take him at his word. We trust him to care for us, to lead us and guide us, to be with us in the dark times when we cannot see him, and the bright times when we do not notice him.
They tell the story of the funambulist who ran a line over Niagara Falls and gathered a crowd of people to watch his show. First he walked back and forth with a balancing pole and they were amazed. Then he threw the pole down and ran across the Falls. Then he stood in the middle and did a hand stand on the wire.
The crowds were astonished. They could hardly believe their eyes. They would live to tell their grandchildren about this fellow.
Then he pushed a wheelbarrow out on his wire and walked back and forth with it. Finally he filled it with rocks and again walked easily and steadily across the falls.
As the crowd still remained to watch even more wonderful things, he said, “Good people, you have seen me walk across this Niagara Falls backward and forward. You have seen me push this empty wheelbarrow and this full wheelbarrow from the New York to Ontario. Do you think I can do it again?”
“Yes!” they roared, “You are the greatest high wire walker of all time!”
“Wonderful!” he said, “And now I need a volunteer to get in the wheelbarrow!”
You, sir! Will you join me?”
On this Shrove Monday, we swallow hard and prepare to go with Jesus into Penance. 

1 comment:

  1. To go with Jesus into whatever dark hole he leads to find the truth. Amen.

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.