Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Wednesday of the Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time

History at a glance in Yellowstone Park
Perhaps the 23rd psalm has always been everyone’s favorite. I have come to appreciate it as I recognize my own ovine tendencies. Even my insistence that “I am an original, there is no one like me” conforms to the individualistic conventions of our time. We are sheep; without a good shepherd we are lost.

As I understand shepherding began about 10,000 BC, around the same time as farming. People discovered some animals could be tamed so long they were protected and fed. They domesticated some flocking animals: sheep, cattle, birds and rodents. Dogs and horses were willing to help so long as they too were fed and protected. They also discovered they could plant seeds and produce food – grains, fruits and vegetables -- without continually hunting and gathering. They developed clay pots and wicker baskets for storage. Cities developed, canals and irrigation appeared, along with the specialization of work.
From ancient times leaders were called shepherds and people appreciated the blessings of good leadership. The human being is a social animal. We seek and select leaders; but if we choose badly we invite destruction. Leaders, once chosen, often serve only themselves. They play groups against one another, placate various factions, demonize some, and patronize others; all for the sake of retaining position.
But good shepherds serve the people, helping them to choose what is best even when they prefer something else. It takes courage, energy, creativity, patience, empathy and generosity; and not many can remain in leadership very long.
In today’s reading the Prophet Ezekiel complains about the shepherds who serve only themselves. They use their authority to fleece the people, taking much from them and giving little in return. Through his prophet, God declares he will take his flock away from the wicked shepherds and shepherd them himself. God will personally and directly show everyone the right way to go and the right thing to do.
Eventually, many centuries later, this principle might evolve into democracy. Guided by God’s spirit and educated in centuries of wisdom, people will select their own leaders without surrendering the critical ability to depose them peacefully and legally. Democracy is a noble experiment. Despite its occasional disasters, democracy may prove to be more enduring, stable and just than the the oligarchies of old. It will succeed if the people flock with God, the true shepherd.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.