Monday, November 21, 2011

Memorial of The Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary

http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/112111.cfm




A banana slug,
common in the rain forest,
of Washington State
huddles in a fence post
He said, "I tell you truly,
this poor widow put in more than all the rest;
for those others have all made offerings from their surplus wealth,
but she, from her poverty, has offered her whole livelihood."



Here's a poem for this Memorial of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, of my own composition:



Enormous Jupiter, or so I’m told,
Observed from deep, deep space, orbits
Our neighbor sun in solitude, a sole
companion with – perhaps – some smaller bits
of space debris. Its core a diamond sphere
of earth-sized crystal carbon sheathed in dense
and swirling liquid gas, approaches near
to thermonuclear might. It might ascend
to stardom….
                     So the Blessed Mary soars
in orbit round her son, and those who see
the woman and the God whom she adores
devoutly pray to join her company.
They glory in the radiance of her light,
astonished by the beauty of a widow’s might.



1 comment:

  1. I read a reflection about Mary today that mentioned that probably Simeon and Anna were in the Temple when Mary was a young child growing up there. How amazing to watch a child grow into the Mother of our Lord!
    Peace!

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.