Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Memorial of Saint Cyril, monk, and Saint Methodius, Bishop

http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/021412.cfm


Do you not yet understand or comprehend?
Are your hearts hardened?
Do you have eyes and not see, ears and not hear?
....He said to them, "Do you still not understand?"



Although we like to remember Jesus as a gentle man, Saint Mark usually describes him as a severe teacher. He thundered at his disciples often, demanding that they forget everything they ever learned and open their minds to his way of thinking. Once, when their ignorance seemed invincible, 
He answered them, ‘You faithless generation, how much longer must I be among you? How much longer must I put up with you? (Mark 9:19)
I often hear that story among the Veterans -- and I sympathize with them -- as they tell me horror stories of early confessions to difficult priests. There is no excuse for their tormenting vulnerable children and adults in the confessional. 


But the wise invite the rebuke of the Lord: 
These things you have done and I have been silent;
   you thought that I was one just like yourself.
But now I rebuke you, and lay the charge before you.
(Psalm 50: 21)
As we are rapidly approaching Ash Wednesday and Lent, we should remember this new kind of Christian wisdom. 
A scoffer who is rebuked will only hate you;
   the wise, when rebuked, will love you.
(Proverbs 9:8)
 
The practice and sacrament of Penance are about welcoming the Lord's rebuke. I want to know how I have offended God. I ask the Lord to show me my sins because, without his help I cannot see them. 
I am like a deaf man moving rapidly in a pitch-dark room full of people; I often step on toes, jab with sharp elbows and jab eyes with extended fingers; and more often ignore their complaints. And I take offense when they push back! 
With the Wise man Job I will pray:
How many are my iniquities and my sins? Make me know my transgression and my sin. (Job 13:23)

Happy Saint Valentine's Day to all Lovers in the Lord!


1 comment:

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.