Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Wednesday of the Second week of Easter



Spring arrives in southern Indiana
God so loved the world that he gave his only-begotten Son,
so that everyone who believes in him might not perish
but might have eternal life.
For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world,
but that the world might be saved through him.

Does a frustrated, unhappy, vindictive God make any sense at all? Why would anyone suppose that God is chronically unhappy? Some people are chronically unhappy; there is nothing anyone can do to please them. But should God be so afflicted?
And yet that is the image many people have of God. They just cannot imagine a joyous Spirit moving over troubled water who is serene, beneficent and abundantly generous.
With John 3:16, Jesus gives us that image of a generous, benevolent God. In the encounter with Jesus we come to know his God and Father, who bears little resemblance to the gods we often imagine. 
I hear so many descriptions of God. Sometimes I have to say, “That doesn’t sound like the God I worship. In fact, I would not worship that God. He’s not worthy of my love, trust or devotion.” I have learned to be choosy about the gods I worship. In the world of gods there are as many choices as there are people. And some of those people are awfully unhappy; their gods are equally miserable. 
My method for choosing my God is to find another human being whom I admire, love and trust enough to teach me about his or her God. He should be generous, courageous and happy. In that quest I found Jesus.
Jesus believed his Abba was worthy of his entire devotion and love, even to “death, death on a cross.” Now if Jesus trusts that God so much – and Jesus is no fool! –I want to worship that God.
I had this very experience when I joined a 12-step group some years ago. It was a difficult time in my life and I felt abandoned and god-less. I listened to the witness of the group. They had troubles as we all do, but they were happy. Daily they made a decision to turn their lives and will over to the care of God as they understood him. I learned to believe in their God, and that their God would show compassion to me. I made their decision my own, and learned to trust Our Higher Power. 
Jesus taught us that God so loved the world that he gave his only-begotten son so that everyone who believes in him might have eternal life. He also assures us, it is utter nonsense to suppose God sent his son into the world to condemn the world. Why would he bother to do that? Would Jesus go to all the trouble of living in this world to say, “I just stopped by to tell you you’re going to hell. Have a nice day!”?

Rather, reason and common sense assure us of Saint Francis' summation of faith: 
You are good, all good, supreme good! 


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your words and all the pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 12 step programs of all shapes and sorts are empowering. Over the years, I have run into them when I least wanted them, but most needed them. A therapist once said how wonderful the Serenity Prayer is. I said I didn't care or know much about it. Oh boy, I needed it then and I need it now. Everyday embracing that there is a Higher Power out there is a daily task. You can't forget it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.