Saturday, April 21, 2012

Saturday of the Second Week of Easter

http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/042112.cfm


When they had rowed about three or four milesthey saw Jesus walking on the sea and coming near the boat, and they began to be afraid. But he said to them, "It is I. Do not be afraid."


As we enter John 6 we have reason to be afraid, for Jesus is leading us onto a tempestuous sea. Many of his fondest disciples will give up on him; he is not what they expected; and, though they feel keen disappointment, they’ll cut their losses and go back to the old, predictable and familiar.

Even some scripture scholars – the self-appointed elect – of our time have given up on Jesus as they described him as a reformer of the old religion, of Judaism. In fact, as the Catholic Church has always insisted, he started a new religion built upon the ancient traditions of Abraham, Moses and David. This Church will carry with us many beloved traditions, especially the psalms, prayers and stories. We’ll retain many of the old rituals: burning incense, wearing ashes, beating one’s breast, prostrations, and so forth. We’ll keep images like the lamb, the bride and groom; and many of the Old Covenant (Testament) books.

But make no mistake. This is a new religion with an entirely new priesthood founded upon the line of Melchizedek, and not Levi. That priest will be Jesus. He will seat us at his table and feed us an entirely new food and drink. No longer bread and wine, or sheep and bitter herbs; we will eat his body and drink his blood.

Occasionally people try to start new Christian religions, saying the Apostles got it wrong. They suppose Jesus intended things he never meant, and meant things he never said. They attempt to tell a gospel Jesus never spoke. Saint Paul warned us about such foolishness when he said,
But even if we or an angel from heaven should proclaim to you a gospel contrary to what we proclaimed to you, let that one be accursed! As we have said before, so now I repeat, if anyone proclaims to you a gospel contrary to what you received, let that one be accursed!
 Am I now seeking human approval, or God’s approval? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still pleasing people, I would not be a servant of Christ. (Galatians 1: 8-10)
These attempts are nothing new to the Church; they have persisted from Saint Paul until today.

There will be storms of controversy, some of them truly daunting. I don’t think we would be a true church if we didn’t have to weather controversies. Because we live in the real world, we can never drop below or ascend above these tempests; we can only wait and keep the faith until they pass.

And through it all we will behold Jesus walking upon the troubled water and calling out to us,
 "It is I. Do not be afraid."

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your words and pics.
    As the song says: Be not afraid. I go before you always. Come, follow me and I will give you rest.

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.