Thursday, August 9, 2012

Thursday of the Eighteenth Week in Ordinary Time


readings/080912.cfm

But this is the covenant that I will make
with the house of Israel after those days, says the LORD.
I will place my law within them, and write it upon their hearts;
I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

As Jerusalem suffered the siege of the Babylonians, Jeremiah predicted a new covenant, unlike the one so often violated by the city’s sins. This new covenant would be written not in tablets of stone but directly on the hearts of the faithful people. They would have no need of instruction for each person would intuitively know and eagerly obey God’s will.

Christian tradition finds this prophecy fulfilled in the New Covenant of Jesus Christ.  We celebrate it most especially with the Eucharist; but we should not read this passage as God’s rejection of his Chosen People. That would be overstating the Prophet’s intentions. Worse, it would mislead the Christian; she would not find God’s law, covenant or Holy Spirit in such a doctrine.

Jeremiah challenges the perennial misconception that we can keep the law by observing its letter. I listen to political news more than is good for me, and that’s one of the expressions I hear too often, “I have done nothing illegal!” 

"Yes, and...?"

Despite the teachings of Jesus and our claim to be a Christian nation, we still think we’re okay if we don’t break the law. Worse, we suppose something is owed to us for doing no more than avoiding punishment.

The funny thing about that claim, “I have done nothing illegal!” is that it’s challenged by people – usually the news media – who instinctively know there is something wrong though they cannot say what. What is wrong with skimming money out of people’s banks if it’s not demonstratively illegal? What exactly is wrong with accepting a multi-million dollar bonus while working men and women are denied a living wage? Why shouldn’t one percent of the populace control 50% of the nation’s wealth, and why shouldn’t I be one of them? How does that conflict with my claim to be Christian? 

And what is wrong with admiring the rich for their lordship over us? I am irresistibly fascinated by their life-style and luxury? Is that wrong? Isn't it natural to want more power than anyone else? Why shouldn't we despise the poor? Didn't they bring squalor upon themselves? 

Heaven's reply is Jesus Christ Crucified. Heaven's new covenant begins with the embrace of the despised, mangled corpse of Jesus Christ. Fix your eyes on him. (Hebrews 12:2)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.