Monday, September 10, 2012

Monday of the Twenty-third week of Ordinary Time


http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/091012.cfm


The student chapel at St Meinrad
where the friars celebrated Mass. 
It is widely reported that there is immorality among you, and immorality of a kind not found even among pagans? a man living with his father's wife. And you are inflated with pride. Should you not rather have been sorrowful?



We can hear the shock, dismay and sorrow in Saint Paul's words as he tells them of the awful rumors about Corinth. It's bad enough that a member has married his father's widow; but the Church leaders have allowed it to go on too long without saying anything. Their silence has caused division in the Church.


It's not hard to imagine the fellow's confederates looking the other way: "He's a good fellow, an old friend, a business partner. You can't expect us to throw him out!" But others in the Church are outraged by the scandal: "It's unconscionable. He's taking the sacrament as if there is nothing wrong! Am I supposed to share communion with him and his "wife?" Should I let my family associate with him?" Today's Gospel also points to scandalous behavior among religious people: "But they became enraged and discussed together what they might do to Jesus." This murderous conspiracy occurred on the Sabbath!

To this day, conversations about the Church often run along the same line: "It is widely reported that there is immorality among you..." Christians, Catholics and non-Christians talk about it. The Church is supposed to be a city on a hill and a light in darkness, but rumors of scandal pursue it everywhere.


Many people will dismiss the Church and the Gospel and Jesus Christ after hearing these stories. Some, out of residual piety, will claim they still believe in Jesus; but that's only a defensive move to head off the God-talk before it gets out of hand. In fact they don't believe a word of it; and have not given the Gospel a second thought since the last funeral they attended.


What should the devout person do? Clearly, it's pointless to argue with the cynic; and explanations hold as much water as a tea strainer. We can only examine our own conscience; admit that we too have sinned; and turn to the Lord in our sorrow and shame.


Not long ago I was found out in a little white lie. I allowed an untruth to go unchallenged and it came back to bite me. A Veteran is angry with me. He would have been anyway, being an angry man, but now he has good reason to be. His priest lied to him. I realized then I had no excuse for my sin; I must confess it and somehow atone for it.


Saint Paul, even from a distance, had to challenge his people in Corinth to clean up their act. He could not look the other way; he could not hope the sin might resolve itself. He had to speak the truth firmly and consistently, regardless of who was hurt and who might take offense; and he teaches us to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.