Friday, January 11, 2013

Friday after Epiphany

Lectionary: 216

Who indeed is the victor over the world
but the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?
Several years ago I worked with a woman who, on a Monday morning, complained about her experience of playing softball on Sunday morning. She said the players had been very rude to one another, the umpires were surly and the families, acting as fans, made catcalls and booed loudly. I knew this woman as a Catholic, church-going woman and supposed she had attended her Sunday duty on Saturday evening. So I meant nothing personal when I replied that one might expect more rudeness of people who don’t go to church.
She got very upset and accused me of being judgmental. Perhaps I am. But there is something to the science of demographics and, if church-going doesn’t make a difference, why bother to go?
Saint John is less defensive and more straightforward with his estimate of Jesus’ disciples:
Whoever possesses the Son has life;
whoever does not possess the Son of God does not have life.
Christians, in the Spirit of Saint John, are not defensive about our faith or our hospitality to others. We love to invite others to worship with us; and we should not hesitate out of fear of being called judgmental.
People who decide to attend a church, or to go along with a friend, often decide to attend again. They are often intrigued by our familiarity with the responses and gestures of the Mass. We seem to be standing up, sitting down and singing out without prompts or cues. Since the Second Vatican Council the Mass has become a kind of dance with the priest as one partner and the congregation, the other. We move together in a worship service that pleases our God, reassures our hearts and invites others to join in.
As complicated as that ritual of standing, kneeling, sitting, listening, singing, reciting, processing, giving and receiving the Eucharist may seem -- it is the Spirit of Jesus Christ moving his body the Church. And it is beautiful to behold.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.