Thursday, May 23, 2013

Thursday of the Seventh Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 344

Say not: “I have sinned, yet what has befallen me?”
for the Most High bides his time.
Of forgiveness be not overconfident,
adding sin upon sin.
Say not: “Great is his mercy;
my many sins he will forgive.”
For mercy and anger alike are with him;
upon the wicked alights his wrath.

While the scriptures often reassure us of God’s great mercy and compassion, they also warn us against the sin of presumption.
Late one night, when I was young enough to be sociable late in the night, I chatted with a group of teens. They were planning to attend a party even later into the night and I asked, “Have you asked your parents?”

One replied, “She doesn’t care.” The speaker meant by that, “It’s okay with her;” but he chose an awful expression.
If God seems to be silent; if lightning doesn’t strike when you sin; does that mean “It’s okay with God?” Or, “God doesn’t care?”

Sirach warns the sinner, “The Most High bides his time.” and “upon his mercy alights his wrath.”
The wise always have a strong sense of God’s terrifying holiness. Their faith assures them of God’s mercy, but instinctively they tremble in the presence of The Other.

This feeling is akin to the instincts of the married couple who pay attention to one another. They know better than to ignore one another. Can a football game or a phone call be more important than our relationship? A moment’s inattention can take hours or days to amend, especially if that particular slip was ill-timed.
Wisdom pays close attention to God all the time. It is always aware of God’s watchful concern. Confident of Benevolence, it will not presume upon a grace so freely given.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.