Thursday, October 31, 2013

Thursday of the Thirtieth Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 482

If God is for us, who can be against us?
He did not spare his own Son
but handed him over for us all,
how will he not also give us everything else along with him?
Who will bring a charge against God’s chosen ones?
It is God who acquits us.

Is it coincidental that Halloween falls at the end of National Bullying Prevention Month?

Halloween is a celebration of fear and fearlessness. Many Christians despise the custom because they think it gives too much recognition to demons. I think it’s a good custom because it helps us to look at our fears and overcome them.

Speaking of bullying, I remember an incident when I was a freshman in high school. I was a very tall string bean. Some people said I looked like a matchstick, a very skinny body and a very large head. But I could be scrappy when I had to be. One day a sophomore was picking on one of my classmates. He had him down and was pounding his head on the floor. I felt badly for my classmate, who was a meek sort of fellow, and started catcalling the bully.

Of course he had no choice but to leave off his pounding the other fellow and come after me. For some reason I was fearless. I was offering myself as a sacrificial lamb in my buddy’s place. The funny thing was that within a few seconds I had wrestled my attacker to the floor and was pounding his head on the floor. Nor did his classmates rescue him.
Some people will say bullying has been going on a long time in America; it will not stop soon. Actually it started with Cain and Abel. It certainly continued with the European’s treatment of Native- and African-Americans, and aggression against immigrants both legal and illegal.
It’s endemic in our religious practices as well. Many Christians think brow-beating others into joining their church or sect is God’s way; they feel a moral imperative to drive wandering sheep into the fold.
In conversation with an atheist Pope Francis has said: “Proselytism is solemn nonsense, it makes no sense. We need to get to know each other, listen to each other and improve our knowledge of the world around us. Sometimes after a meeting I want to arrange another one because new ideas are born and I discover new needs. This is important: to get to know people, listen, expand the circle of ideas. The world is crisscrossed by roads that come closer together and move apart, but the important thing is that they lead towards the Good.”
Americans live and breathe in a culture of consumerism and salesmanship. We continually try to sell our faith to others; we search for ways to make it more desirable. If this is not exactly bullying, neither is it honest.

The Holy Father recommends neither promotion nor aggression but dialogue. The truth can speak for itself; it has its own appeal; it will find its own way to penetrate between bone and marrow in each person’s heart, without any persuasion from either party.

In the process of getting to know each other, listening to each other and improving our knowledge of the world around us, God’s mysterious healing, and reconciling grace seeps into our hearts. All we need to do is love God and do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Profound reverence in conversation with others permits God to draw us to himself.

It also undemonizes the hobgoblins of other religions, languages, nationalities and politics. 

Happy Halloween. 

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful! I plan on sharing your thoughts with my students.

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.