Sunday, October 6, 2013

Twenty-seventh Sunday in Ordinary Time


Lectionary: 141

For God did not give us a spirit of cowardice but rather of power and love and self-control. So do not be ashamed of your testimony to our Lord, nor of me, a prisoner for his sake; but bear your share of hardship for the gospel with the strength that comes from God.





During his visit to Assisi on Friday, Pope Francis lamented the tragedy of refugees drowning as they fled north Africa for the Italian island of Lampedusa. Given our modern communications there is no end of daily tragedies, as Habakkuk reminds us in today's first reading:
How long, O LORD? I cry for helpbut you do not listen!I cry out to you, "Violence!"but you do not intervene.Why do you let me see ruin;why must I look at misery?
If the Lord has given us a spirit of power and love and self-control, what must we do to respond to these tragedies.? Watching them on television, which is only an entertainment medium, doesn't help.
Jesus insists, "You can make a difference:

"If you have faith the size of a mustard seed,you would say to this mulberry tree,'Be uprooted and planted in the sea,’ and it would obey you.
Perhaps he speaks in hyperbole but if the "you" in his teaching is plural, you can make a real difference after you have learned to obey the Spirit of God. Millions of churches, dioceses, Catholic and Christian organizations move mulberry trees and mountains daily.
The first step is always spiritual. I must die to myself. I join a group and share my dream as they share with me. My own particular brain storm may not be the greatest idea since sliced bread. If it is and others see it as such, they'll change it and make it their own. Can I die to "my idea" and let it be our dream and God's inspiration?
More often I join a Christian group, like the Knights of Columbus, and buy into their dream. If the day comes when we accomplish something -- the KC's accomplish much! -- we will say, "We are unprofitable servants; we have done what we were obliged to do.'"
In that moment two great things will have happened: a mulberry tree will be uprooted and the mountain of my self will be tossed into the sea. It's hard to say which is more important. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.