Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Ash Wednesday 2016

Lectionary: 219


We are ambassadors for Christ,
as if God were appealing through us.
We implore you on behalf of Christ,
be reconciled to God.
For our sake he made him to be sin who did not know sin, 
so that we might become the righteousness of God in him.



It is beyond imagination that the Father should make "him to be sin who did not know sin, so that we might become the righteousness of God in him." 

What on earth does that mean? 

Saint Paul speaks in ontological language. He doesn't use descriptive language, saying that Jesus sinned or was guilty of sin, but he was made sin. He is sin. 

That we might be the righteousness of God. 

Adam and Eve were tempted to be like God, and sinned in their audacity. They grabbed at what is offered freely to us "in him." 

Through penance -- that is, by living the life of Jesus in the communion of his Spirit -- we are made splendidly beautiful, with our innocence restored. 

Lent is that season when we remember the innocence of our First Communion, when the little girls wore gleaming white shoes, gloves, veils and dresses; and the little boys wore polished shoes, white shirts and navy blue suits and ties -- with our cowlicks cowed into submission. 

Could I ever be that innocent again? Yes, in a manner of speaking. Though the Lord will not destroy the bitter memory of sin, he will restore us to full communion among the saints. In that day we will wonder about those dark hours, "What was I thinking?"; and we will know deep assurance, "I have put away those sinful inclinations." 

With ontological assurance I will say, "I am not like that any more." and "My being proclaims the greatness of the Lord." 

During Lent we hear God appealing to us to be reconciled to God. On this first day of forty we should ask the Precious Lord (to) take my hand, lead me on. We ask the Father and the Son to sweep us up in the Spirit of the Season, a spirit which is both sad for our sins and glad with relief -- that we might become the righteousness of God in him.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.