Friday, May 20, 2016

Memorial of Saint Bernadine of Siena

Franciscan preacher, St. Bernadine
promoted devotion to the Holy Name of Jesus
Lectionary: 345

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because the Lord is compassionate and merciful.


As we settle into the "ordinary" time of the liturgical year, some of us pray for a few ordinary, boring days. "I'll take a dozen, Please!" A period without too much excitement or frenzy would do nicely. 

During the last few months we watched the political parties go through their frantic process of choosing their presidential candidates and most of us decided which party we'd support a long time ago. The news on that front might offer entertainment; there will be little substance. I plan to bury my head in theological and philosophical books until November 8. 

Ordinary time is when we do our ordinary good works of justice, mercy and compassion even as we practice the perseverance of Job

It's simply easier not to get terribly upset about goings-on around us. We consider our options, pray, and make our choices. If someone in my life needs to operate dramatically, I can provide a sympathetic audience but retain my right not to play a part in their theater of the absurd. "I'll pass, thanks."

When I drive to and from the hospital, I sometime see clowns weaving in and out of the traffic. They're often coming so fast from the rear I don't notice them until they roar past. I find it's better to say a Hail Mary that they don't crash into anyone ahead of me. Some people refocus on the rosary at that moment. 

Behold the lilies of the field who neither toil nor spin, and observe the birds of the air who do not gather into barns -- as the spring eases into summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.