Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Tuesday of the First Week in Advent

Lectionary: 176


“I give you praise, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for although you have hidden these things from the wise and the learned you have revealed them to the childlike.




Saint Therese of the Child Jesus taught the world about "the little way." It would be the way she lived, quietly, in an isolated, cloistered monastery, out of sight, and unimaginable to the greater world around her.


When Jesus' disciples returned from their missionary adventure, astonished at their success, he praised God for the hidden things that were being revealed to the childlike.


These were mysteries beyond the imagination of the powerful, influential or elite of this world. His truths did not require sophisticated mind-games or violent efforts to believe the incredible. They did not need admen to promote them, or an army to persuade others to see them. In fact they were comprehended better by those who had little investment -- financial, social or educational -- in this world's thinking.


The mystery we should apprehend at Christmas will seem too subtle to many people. It will be like tea to coffee drinkers or lemonade to alcoholics. When we offer our explanations they just don't cut it.


When we offer our lives, they do. When they see our assurance in difficult times, our generosity in hard times, our courage in perilous times then they might comprehend this perfectly ordinary, little way Jesus has shown to the childlike.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.