Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Tuesday of Fifth Week of Easter


Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.
Not as the world gives do I give it to you.
Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid.


Easter celebrates the victory that Jesus has won. Christians celebrate with songs of praise, as in Psalm 68:
"The Lord gives the word to the bearers of good tidings: The Almighty has defeated a numberless army and kings and armies are in flight, in flight, while you were at rest in the sheepfolds. At home the women already share the spoil. They are covered with silver as the wings of a dove, its feathers brilliant with shining gold, and jewels flashing like snow on Mount Zalmon."


Human life is often described as a struggle  between good and evil. But our Christian Scriptures assure us the battle is over:
Then war broke out in heaven; Michael and his angels battled against the dragon. The dragon and its angels fought back, but they did not prevail and there was no longer any place for them in heaven. The huge dragon, the ancient serpent, who is called the Devil and Satan, who deceived the whole world, was thrown down to earth, and its angels were thrown down with it. Then I heard a loud voice in heaven say: “Now have salvation and power come,  and the kingdom of our God and the authority of his Anointed. For the accuser of our brothers is cast out, who accuses them before our God day and night.


I need to be reminded of this Victory often. I tend to think, "It's all up to me. I've got to do this!"


The Lord says, "Relax." or better: "Peace be with you." And, "Do not let your hearts be troubled or afraid."


I will never be happy if I am not happy right now. I will never know peace if I cannot know peace in this place at this time and with these people.


And so I welcome the Victory the Lamb has won for me and for us. "Now is the acceptable time. Now is the day of salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.