Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Memorial of the Passion of Saint John the Baptist

Lectionary: 426/634


Rather, after we had suffered and been insolently treated,
as you know, in Philippi, we drew courage through our God
to speak to you the Gospel of God with much struggle.



Saint Augustine said, "It always takes courage to tell the truth." Someone else has said, "If I'm not taking risks I'm not doing my job."
Some observers have noticed a hyper-caution in our society; we are risk averse. Parents are afraid of disciplining their children; and teachers, their students. Coaches talk to their athletes but will not yell at them.
A story told on the TED stage: a fellow was arrested at a ball park for giving his son "hard lemonade." He had little interest in spectator sports, he only took the boy to the game as a father-son thing. When the boy said he was thirsty, neither one knew that "hard lemonade" has alcohol. The boy was rushed to the hospital, then sent home. He suffered no injury. When the father explained his mistake to the arresting officer, the cop said, "I understand. No harm done. But my hands are tied. I have to arrest you." 
The judge said, "I understand. No harm done. But rules are rules. You cannot visit your home or see your son for six weeks! Case dismissed."
There are laws forbidding alcohol to children in public places; and there is "common sense." Sometimes no one in The System has the courage to act reasonably, with common sense. But if you're not taking risks, you're not doing your job.
Eventually, as society becomes ever more litigious, cautious and frightened, everybody suffers. That's when martyrs emerge. They do the right thing and pay a heavy cost.
Saint John the Baptist opposed King Herod's marrying his brother's wife. It was abhorrent to Jewish custom. Everybody knew what the king was doing; many suspected the woman's husband had been murdered. John spoke up. John paid the price.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.