Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Wednesday of the Twenty-first Week in Ordinary Time


And for this reason we too give thanks to God unceasingly, that, in receiving the word of God from hearing us, you received it not as the word of men, but as it truly is, the word of God, which is now at work in you who believe.



Clearly, the Church's proclamation of the Gospel relies upon the credibility of her witnesses. What child would imitate a church-going, abusive parent? Is anyone impressed by the intoxicated priest who stumbles through the Mass? 

There might be something attractive about the religion; some statue, picture or song to fascinate the prospective Christian; but no one should expect that charm to counteract a witness possessed by evil. 

However, with that being said, we have to admit that those who hear the Word of God receive it not as the word of men, but as it truly is, the Word of God. The Church is not built on shifting sands of competent preachers, musicians or catechists but on the Rock of Ages. 

No one should fall in love with the pastors or leaders of a church. They come and go. We should listen to and learn from them. We should honor them as sacraments of God's presence. And then we should turn our hearts and minds back to Jesus. 

He is the One who keeps us in communion with the Church; he sustains us through the confusing, difficult moments that challenge every community. 

It is no accident that a traitor appeared among the disciples of Jesus. The Lord said of him, ..." the Son of Man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that one by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for that one not to have been born.’




Inevitably, every believer and every community experiences betrayal. It may come from a trusted friend, a respected authority or a troublesome colleague. It may come even from my own heart, which I foolishly believed was more honorable and dependable.


In that critical moment I ask myself, "Has my faith been rooted in Jesus Christ, the Son of God who gave his life for me, or in a sinful, foolish human being?" 



Faced with disappointment, betrayal and scandal, the faithful person says, "I must still believe in God! I cannot live without faith." The community, too, must rise from its bewilderment declaring, "We cannot allow this to destroy us. We believe in God our Savior." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.