Monday, March 5, 2018

Monday of the Third Week of Lent

Lectionary: 237

Amen, I say to you, no prophet is accepted in his own native place.


I love today's story from the Second Book of Kings, and particularly that small detail: a little slave girl suggested that the Syrian general should go to an Israelite prophet and be healed. The Lord inspired this little unnamed prophetess and empowered her words and she was heard not in her own native place but in a foreign land. 
What a shame that Americans are deporting thousands of immigrants from our country. How many of their children would speak God's prophetic word to us if only we could hear them? If no prophet is accepted in his own native place and we will not listen to our own, we might listen to foreigners -- but we're driving them out. 
But, as in the Gospel of Mark, our ears are hacked off and we cannot hear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.