Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Feast of Saint Thomas the Apostle


You are no longer strangers and sojourners, but you are fellow citizens with the holy ones and members of the household of God....


The Gospel of Saint John begins with a joyful/comical story about the Trickster Wedding Guest who pulled a stunt on the chief steward and bridegroom. The steward berated the bridegroom for not serving the best wine first, even as the silent servants stifled their laughter. The Gospel ends with another comical story that is steeped in overwhelming joy. When Jesus finally appears to Thomas the rest of the group is in on the joke; they can watch with I-told-you-so grins as the Doubter is astonished, challenged and gently rebuked. 
I fear that the Church has not often appreciated the humor of the situation, nor seen how that humor reflects the overwhelming joy of the Resurrection.
Humor is often the only defense the weak have against the powerful. Uncle Remus stories entertained the children and adults who learned to survive, live and thrive under white oppression. If the New Testament, in particular, mixes humor with its joy, we should recognize the victory of oppressed Christians who were despised by gentile and Jewish authorities. Their faith in the Risen Lord assured them they would not always suffer this injustice. 
If we no longer get the joke but, with stone-cold sobriety, analyze stories like the Wedding Feast of Cana and Doubting Thomas, reading them with standard interpretations about the Sacrament of Marriage and "believing without seeing," we have to ask  "Who are we?" and "What happened to our sense of humor?" Have we become the people who oppress Jews and ridicule non-believers?
Faith, humility, humor, penance: these are indispensable ingredients of Christian life. Anyone who cannot laugh at himself, nor apologize for his sins, nor prefer the last place should not claim to have faith. He may have many strong opinions about religion, and convictions about how Christians should act but without the ability to laugh at his own blindness he is a sounding gong and a tinkling cymbal. 
Our Catholic tradition cultivates that humility as we approach the Sacrament of Penance. If I cannot think of my sins I have only to ask one of my companions, or listen to my enemies. Marriage seems like the perfect preparation for penance; that intimate sacrament must surely remind husband and wife of their prejudgments, lack of insight, and presumptions. Perhaps that's why Jesus attended the Cana wedding feast, to remind us there is no marriage without humor, humility and penance.
Ministry too, as in priesthood, should also be penitential. Gwendolyn Brooks has a marvelous meditation on the pretensions of the preacher. I remember a Protestant colleague's declaration, "I can't always agree with what you say. But then I can't always agree with what I say!"
Tyranny has no sense of humor. It can't afford to laugh unless it laughs at other people, finding another way to humiliate and dominate.
I see the Lord laughing at himself when a woman replied, "Even the dogs eat what has fallen from the children's table!" He never let himself be bested by a Herodian or Pharisee, but a Canaanite gentile woman dared to match wits with him and reminded him of his mission to all the people! I see Thomas and Jesus and the disciples doubled over with belly laughs, and tears streaming from their eyes, as they celebrated our Victory over doubt, sin, and death. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.