Friday, October 25, 2019

Friday of the Twenty-ninth Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 477

So, then, I discover the principle
that when I want to do right, evil is at hand.
For I take delight in the law of God, in my inner self,
but I see in my members another principle
at war with the law of my mind,
taking me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members.
Miserable one that I am!
Who will deliver me from this mortal body?
Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord.


Many people refer to this passage from Romans 7, when Saint Paul speaks of his disappointment with himself. His words strike a chord in anyone who has been inspired by the Lord and set out to carry the cross and announce the Gospel. We have been touched by the Spirit of God and felt a thrill of glad hope within us. We know with utter confidence and sincere simplicity, we can live as Jesus lived. It's just not that difficult!
Why do our good intentions so often come to naught?
Trying again and again, we might decide to avoid every "occasion of evil." Appealing pleasures, bad companions, and stress: we won't go there. We know we should be careful about hunger, anger, lonely, and tired. Whenever we feel HALT, we'll be aware and take appropriate steps. We know that idleness is the devil's workshop so we'll plan our days and keep busy. We'll seek inspiration daily in prayer and sacred reading, good company, and useful activity.
But the mortal body, inevitably subject to relentless gravity, drags us down. As Jesus sadly observed of his sleeping companions, "The spirit is willing, the flesh is weak."
If you look to me for an escape formula, I'll assure you I don't have one.
If you think you have one, bottle and sell it. You'll get rich! (Though many others have tried and failed already, there's still room on that list.)
Relief comes for Saint Paul in the last line of this chapter, 
"Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord."
Paul's life is not about Paul. His gospel is not the Gospel of Paul the Apostle; it's the Gospel of Jesus Christ, Son of God.
This life is not about me. Salvation is not for me but for the One who saves me.
The Apostle will announce with great satisfaction in Romans 8, "Now there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.
Condemn yourself, if you like. It won't matter for the Lord is your judge and the Lord's justice is mercy. Only when I judge myself does the Lord turn a deaf ear to me.
The saints take peculiar delight in knowing and confessing their sins. Grateful that God reveals their sins to them, they love to hear that Voice of Rebuke for it is sweet beyond honey, more precious than a hope diamond. To know the Lord is to know you have been gazed upon, known, cherished, forgiven, and laughed at. And you laughed with him. 
"It is good that we are here." Saint Peter said. But we cannot stay in that place of pleasure either for we're on the top of a mountain and gravity never quits. (If you sleep on a mountain you may end up in the creek at the bottom!)
So we go back to the level ground and look at the offensive neighbor once again and try to notice they are made like us, in God's image. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.