Thursday, May 27, 2021

Memorial of Saint Augustine of Canterbury

Lectionary: 350

Jesus said to him in reply, “What do you want me to do for you?” The blind man replied to him, “Master, I want to see.”


Saint Mark is a master story teller and his tale of Bartimaeus is one of my favorite. As brief as it is, every phrase invites reflection. 

"He threw aside his cloak," for instance, suggests the cost of discipleship. We can suppose the man's cloak was his only asset. Despite its tattered, filthy condition, it was valuable to him. But at the Lord's invitation he threw it off, perhaps forgetting it altogether as he blindly rushed into an unknown, unimaginable future. He took with him only one thing, and that he readily surrendered to the Lord, his desire to see. 

I love the Lord's direct question, "What do you want...?" It's translated more politely, of course. We use similar expressions, "What can I do for you?" and, "How may I assist you?" We're often ask, "How may I direct your call?" But they all boil down to, "What do you want?"

I have heard mothers pleading with their babies, "Tell me what you want?" Some children, for reasons adults cannot fathom, do not say what they want. They whine, whimper, and pule and, "That's supposed to mean something?" Some parents will offer them a dozen different services, anything to get them to stop crying! Others will say, "Go to your room and when you're ready to tell me what you want, come back!" 

But adults do the same thing to their employers or employees. We're supposed to know what they want. Isn't it perfectly obvious? No. You'll have to tell me in so many words. What do you want?

Bartimaeus did not need a second prompt, "Master, I want to see." Simple question, simple answer: "Go your way, your faith has saved you."

And then notice what happens: he received his sight and followed him on the way. 

We know Bartimaeus's name because he followed the Lord. There are other stories of Jesus's healing and most of these blessed individuals remain anonymous. For whatever reason, they did not follow Jesus, and the Church never learned their names. But Bartimaeus followed Jesus because the Master's way was now his own. Frequent readers of the New Testament will recognize "the way." Saint Paul intended to suppress the religion of that name as he traveled to Damascus. 

Finally, we should recognize the beggar's rapid ascent from nuisance to a recognized and named disciple. The congregation around Jesus tried to hush him, They rebuked him and told him to be silent. Perhaps they assumed there was nothing to be done for this mendicant. How many thousands had they already passed on the road, each of them with their hands out for alms? 

They assumed their attitude was the Lord's. They could speak and act for him, until he stopped walking and teaching, and called the fellow to come forward. 

Franciscans are often reminded that Saint Francis prayed continually for the Lord's guidance and direction. Pray always and take nothing for granted! Let every decision be considered with a prayerful pause. This is how we walk as followers in the way. 

Finally, let us never stop begging the Lord for help. We should have an immediate, ready answer when he asks, "What do you want?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.