Saturday, August 14, 2021

Memorial of Saint Maximilian Kolbe, Priest and Martyr

Lectionary: 418

“Fear the LORD and serve him completely and sincerely.
Cast out the gods your fathers served beyond the River and in Egypt,
and serve the LORD.
If it does not please you to serve the LORD,
decide today whom you will serve,
the gods your fathers served beyond the River
or the gods of the Amorites in whose country you are dwelling.
As for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.”


Today's feast of a twentieth century martyr must remind Catholics that Joshua's challenge remains as real, demanding, and inescapable as it ever was. Although the century is young, we have learned of martyrs in several countries, including several sisters of Mother Teresa foundation in Yemen and an Irish priest in the Philippines.  

The Spirit of God cannot ignore the appearance of fascism in the United States and the possibility of civil war. Five years ago, a lawyer friend assured me, despite my doubts, that there would be a presidential election in 2020. My worries proved premature; but since so many people believe that election was 
fraudulent -- and all subsequent elections will be fraudulent -- my anxiety remains. 

The choice of faith was never a one time event. Many Christians say they came to the Lord on a certain date several years ago. That's lovely, but did you come to the Lord this morning? 

The Hebrews who gathered at Shechem might have replied that they had been saved when they escaped Egypt. But that would not have been true as that entire generation had died. After their infidelities at Massah and Meribah, the Lord had not permitted any of those who crossed through the Red Sea -- not even Moses -- to enter the Promised Land. These young people could not stand on their parents' claims; they had to decide for themselves. 

The Church believes the Spirit of God will never abandon her. It spread rapidly throughout the Roman Empire despite the inept but savage persecutions. The Gospel abides in our Catholic faith in many nations, and does not rely on the fidelity of any one nation. 

I am assured that the Catholic faith will remain in the United States only by the reemergence of congregations from the pandemic and the gratitude of those who believe in the Real Presence. That trial has prepared us for worse to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.