Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Tuesday of the Twentieth Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 420

When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and said, “Who then can be saved?”
Jesus looked at them and said, “For men this is impossible, but for God all things are possible.”
Then Peter said to him in reply, “We have given up everything and followed you. What will there be for us?”


Lest anyone reading yesterday's post, suppose that I would diminish the beauty, importance, and necessity of consecrated religious life, today I offer the collect for vocations to the communities of whom God has gathered into monasteries, convents, friaries, priories, and hermitages. 

Philosophers tell us there are two ways to increase one's freedom. First, by having more power I can do more things. With more economic, physical, military, social, political or intellectual power I can effect more change. Western culture for the last several centuries has resolutely developed ways to garner more power, resulting in faster and bigger technologies to do just about anything. When the Bible speaks of God filling valleys and leveling mountains to make straight the way of the Lord, we say, "What's the big deal; we do that all the time!" And there seems no end in sight to humankind's developing and amassing more power. 

The other way to increase one's freedom is to want less. A hundred thousand dollars cannot buy some cars but a lot less money will buy an old used beater and get me where I need to go. I've met men who were content with three hots and a cot in jail; given small daily chores they felt wanted and useful. 

Consecrated religious life practices that kind of freedom. We do with less. By third world standards I am sure my life in southern Indiana is posh; missionaries have assured me of that. But the men I live with at Mount Saint Francis are pretty happy with cars that get us around and simple vacations. Most of us could have done a lot better in the world, if luxury is what you mean by better. We find that less is better. 

Religious life witnesses to the freedom of God's children as we learn to want less. Age teaches that, of course, and the Gospel reinforces it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.