Friday, June 9, 2023

Friday of the Eighth Week in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 351

Now will I praise those godly men,
our ancestors, each in his own time.
But of others there is no memory,
for when they ceased, they ceased.
And they are as though they had not lived,
they and their children after them.
Yet these also were godly men
whose virtues have not been forgotten....


Some time ago Pope Francis stirred up a kerfuffle when something he said suggested that the wicked might not exist in eternity. My memory is vague on this and, if there was an article, I didn't read it; but the idea is not alien to the scriptures. Along with story of Dives' suffering in eternal fire there is Sirach's saying, heard in today's first reading: ",,,of others there is no memory." 

Or, simply put, let's not be concerned about them since they showed no concern for others. The Gospel is good news and sweet joy for those who belong to the Lord. Amen. As the poet said, "That is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know." 

When we consider God's endless mercy and justice, we gaze upon His eternal presence. We adore the Lord's Real Presence in our Eucharist, and ponder it in our hearts. And we strive to be present to the Lord and to one another, a presence which must also be eternal. 

Presence has several connotations: first, there is my being here in this time and place; secondly, there is the present which enjoys a real if brief moment between the past and future; and finally, there is the gift -- the presents -- of myself to others, and they to me. Speaking of Eternal Life connotes all three dimensions of space and the one dimension of time. 

Or as all the saints since Abraham have said, "Here I am, Lord. I come to do your will." 

Sirach begins his reflection in chapter 44 with nameless heroes, 

Subduers of the land in kingly fashion,
renowned for their might,
Counselors in their prudence,
seers of all things in prophecy,
Resolute princes of the flock,
lawgivers and their rules,
Sages skilled in composition,
authors of sharp proverbs,
Composers of melodious psalms,
writers of lyric poems...

...and then goes on to cite named ancestors like Enoch, Noah, Abraham, and Isaac. They too enjoy an everlasting knowledge of God's presence. That we can name them proves their continuing presence in our world. They made a difference then, and still do today.

I have buried some people who seemed to make no difference. There were no guests at their funerals, neither friends nor family. Only those who had to carry out the funereal rites. I've known others who insisted there should be neither funeral nor memorial for them; they wanted no memory; and denied those who loved them the privilege of grief... 

...when they ceased, they ceased. And they are as though they had not lived.

Certainly, I do not judge, but I ponder the Presence of God and strive to enter that presence. We have heard Jesus's warning:

Someone asked him, “Lord, will only a few people be saved?” He answered them, “Strive to enter through the narrow door, for many, I tell you, will attempt to enter but will not be strong enough. After the master of the house has arisen and locked the door, then will you stand outside knocking and saying, ‘Lord, open the door for us.’ He will say to you in reply, ‘I do not know where you are from.’ Luke 13:23-25

Finally, to quote the philosopher Woody Allen, 80% of life is showing up.

When I see people attending family or civic functions but fixing all their gaze upon their smart phones, I wonder if they're present to anyone anywhere. Are they aware of the present moment? Are they giving or receiving presents? They seem unaware of mine. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.