Friday, June 23, 2023

Friday of the Eleventh Week in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 369

And apart from these things, there is the daily pressure upon me of my anxiety for all the churches.
Who is weak, and I am not weak?
Who is led to sin, and I am not indignant?
If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness.


Driven to distraction by the "super-apostles" who would convert gentiles first to Judaism and then to Christ, thus negating the Lord's death and resurrection, Saint Paul would not try to overpower them with his wisdom, eloquence, or authority. A shrill, shrieking harangue would persuade no one.

Recently, I watched Matt Walsh's documentary film, "What is a Woman?" I found it painful to watch because I am chronically conflict-averse. I squirm with anxiety as he confronts various self-described experts with a simple question. But none can answer. None of his antagonists seem to have even pondered the mysteries of female, male, reproduction, or sexuality. They saw the normal, healthy anxiety of young people living in a conflicted, American culture, and attacked with barbaric violence.

As I watched the film I recalled Saint Paul's exasperated remark "Let them castrate themselves!"

Mr. Walsh eventually finds someone to answer his question; it's an answer which leaves the mystery intact and holy, without desecration or violence. It is a truth available to common sense but revealed to the Church and those who love the Lord. Democracies like ours, under stress, lose all sense of rationality and common sense. Fearful and vulnerable, they arm themselves to the teeth and select a buckthorn, Adolf Hitler, or Donald Trump to lead them.

Saint Paul, suffering the daily pressure of anxiety for all the churches, fell back upon the Word of God and let it speak for itself. Like Jesus, he would not crush the bent reed nor quench the smoldering wick. From a jail he could write letters. Under house arrest he could speak to visitors. Given an opportunity he could speak to a synagogue or crowd in the street. He had no legal, political, or military authority to impose his doctrine or cancel his opponents.

"Here is the truth as it's been given to me;" he seemed to say, "take it or leave; but realize your decision has eternal consequences."

The Church has lost none of its authority following the pedophilia scandal. We honor male and female as an image of Holiness. We support marriage, children, minorities, and pariah peoples. We still denounce abortion, gay marriage, the death penalty, euthanasia, and eugenics. God's enemies may crow about our weaknesses but that only hardens their cynicism; it draws no one closer to the truth.

Like Vatican City hidden in the heart of Rome, we remain as a tabernacle where a searching world may find the Lord. We will continue to proclaim the word persistently, whether it is convenient or inconvenient. We will convince, reprimand, and encourage through all patience and teaching. (2 Timothy 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.