Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Wednesday of the Thirty-first Week in Ordinary Time

Lectionary: 487

"If anyone comes to me without hating his father and mother,
wife and children, brothers and sisters, and even his own life,
he cannot be my disciple.
Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after me
cannot be my disciple.


Today's gospel teaching about hating one's own family stands in a curious contrast to Saint Paul's insistence that we owe nothing but love to one another. This is religious language, of course, and it is full of contradictions that puzzle those to whom it has not been revealed.

The Lord will offer examples of his teaching with parables of the underfunded builder and the defenseless king; but he will not offer a reassuring or more palatable explanation. He means what he says. "Don't bother to come after me if you're not willing to have your life, purpose, and every human relationship completely upended!" 

He seems to be recruiting soldiers for his campaign but without a promise of generous pay, promotion, pension, plunder, loot, and pillage. Eventually, Saint Peter will have to ask, "What's in it for us?" 

The Lord will reply with a promise of extraordinary prestige and superabundant bounty: "you will... 

...sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And everyone who has given up houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands for the sake of my name will receive a hundred times more, and will inherit eternal life."

 ...which is again religious language and not easily translated into standard dollars and common sense.

Our reward is the Word of God, a promise in which we live, a spirit which enlivens us, a confidence which unites all our disparate parts into an integrated whole. Our reward is integrity, which binds the self to reality and truth. Those who believe in Jesus speak the truth and say little else. 

Our reward is the presence of the Lord in our daily lives, and an assurance that God's kingdom will come, his will will be done, and his name will be hallowed throughout the universe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.