Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Wednesday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Lectionary: 253

If you remain in my word, you will truly be my disciples,
and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."


A Veteran friend of mine in the VA hospital  had visited Germany and admired much about the country. "But" he said, "they don't enjoy the freedom we have in this country."

Everything he said about this European ally sounded both good and better than our life in the United States. Their cities are clean; the trains run on time; their transportation systems serve the poor and elderly as well as commuting shoppers and workers; people are seen walking at all hours of the day and night. But he insisted. "They're not as free as we are." 

Eventually, as I got to know the man, I realized he was talking about guns. Germany does not permit many people to own, much less carry, guns. His freedom is the so-called right to own, collect, carry, and use firearms; and he had many. 

Freedom is what we give to one another. And if no one gives you freedom, you cannot have it. 

As a VA hospital chaplain, I worked hand in glove with many nurses. All were friendly, courteous, and helpful. Some were delighted when I visited their floor; they would greet me with enthusiastic full-body hugs. And I was always glad to receive their affection; and gave as well as I got! Others were just as gracious, but didn't offer the same freedom. They might give me a shoulder hug, or fist bump, or a friendly greeting. And I was grateful for everything. 

But I don't think I ever took liberties with the nursing staff, counselors, or therapists. I received as much freedom as they gave me; and I offered the freedom of my friendship, concern, and bodily contact insofar as they would accept it -- and no more. Nor did anyone ever want more than I could or should give. I was fortunate in that regard.  

Freedom is what we give to one another. We cannot -- and dare not -- take liberties with one another. At least, not without an apology, careful explanation, and reassurance that this will not happen again. 

The Lord gives us the freedom of God's children. Saint John says it more precisely, "to those who did accept him he gave power to become children of God." (John 1: 12)

Although most Christians are adopted into the family of Abraham, our freedom is as complete as the "descendants of Abraham." We may call God "Our Father." We may ask for whatever we need in his service. We may rest in his love with the assurance of everlasting salvation.  

Obviously, this is not a freedom that lacks discipline or impulse control. If Jesus comes to serve he is not a slave genie who prostrates and declares, "Your wish is my command." 

Ours is the freedom of One who takes delight in obeying his Father even as the Holy Spirit drives him toward Jerusalem and Calvary. We serve an obedient God. 

Like my gun-toting friend, the Lord's opponents in today's gospel believed they were free because they did what they wanted to do. They did not recognize their bondage to their own wills. There is no worse slavery, none more subtle and hard to escape. 

In the doctrine of the Holy Trinity, we find our deepest understanding of freedom. When the Father expresses himself perfectly, he pours his divinity entirely and without reservation into the Word who became flesh and dwelt among us. When the Son returns in love to the Father, his entire life, from conception to passion and death, is a surrender to the Father. Their love is the Holy Spirit whose being is also consumed -- "consummated" -- by love for the Father and the Son. 

The freedom of the Christian is found within the life of the Trinity, as Jesus says,

In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me, because I live and you will live. On that day you will realize that I am in my Father and you are in me and I in you. (John 14:19-20)


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.