Lectionary: 421
Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel,
in these words prophesy to them to the shepherds:
Thus says the Lord GOD: Woe to the shepherds of Israel who have been pasturing themselves!
If you can't support your lavish way of life with public funds, what's the point of running for office? But, don't worry. It is frightfully easy to cheat once you garner popular support and attain high office.
The only drawback is the dead certainty that God will avenge those who were cheated, abused, and ignored when they needed help. That's whether you believe in God or not. If you run a red light and are killed by an oncoming semi, it doesn't matter whether you believed in red lights and semis, or not. It doesn't matter whether your parents were kind or cruel when you were young. You're dead in either case. God's judgment is just as certain; and for the wicked, just as deadly.
The merciful may argue that I am wrong about that. And I would not mind being wrong. But I am not willing to risk it either. As people said during the recent pandemic, "It's better to err on the side of caution." (Only later, when the crisis has passed, do some exercise the luxury of questioning that excess.)
The wealthy and powerful are well advised to hear the warnings: "Woe to the shepherds of Israel who have been pasturing themselves!" Power and wealth, like high-voltage electricity can be deadly in the hands of fools.
'My friend, I am not cheating you.Did you not agree with me for the usual daily wage?Take what is yours and go.What if I wish to give this last one the same as you?Or am I not free to do as I wish with my own money?Are you envious because I am generous?'
"My faithful friends, you've done the workAnd the devil never can a payday shirk."You've bullied the weak, you've robbed the poor,The starving brother you've turned from the door;You've laid up gold where the canker rust,And have given free vent to your beastly lust."You've justice scorned, and corruption sown,And trampled the laws of nature down.You have drunk, rioted, cheated, plundered, and lied,And mocked at God in your hell-born pride."You have paid full fair, so I'll carry you through,It's only right you should have your due.Why, the laborer always expects his hire,So I'll land you safe in the lake of fire,"Where your flesh will waste in the flames that roar,And my imps torment you forevermore."

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.
Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.
I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.
You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.