Monday, April 8, 2019

Monday of the Fifth Week of Lent


You judge by appearances, but I do not judge anyone. And even if I should judge, my judgment is valid, because I am not alone, but it is I and the Father who sent me.


Jesus seems to contradict himself in this passage from Saint John. Does he judge our attitudes and behavior? Does he judge a nation's policies and procedures, its economy, culture, wars and peace?
We are certainly familiar with that image of Jesus as judge. Matthew 25 describes with terrifying or reassuring imagery -- depending upon your perspective -- Jesus as the Son of Man coming in all his glory, with all his angels and seated upon a heavenly throne.  We cannot forget the definitive words, "Come, you who are blessed..." and "Depart from me, you accursed...."
In this gospel (or this translation) he sounds almost defensive, "I do not judge and even if I judge my judgement is valid...."
So which is it?
For many centuries the Church translated John 19:13 as Pilate seated on his throne of judgement. Traditional paintings showed Jesus crowned with thorns, dressed in his seamless garment, standing before the mob and the judge. However, more recent translations have picked up the ironic tones of Saint John's gospel. (Pronouns can be difficult to translate in Greek. Which "he" are we talking about?) 
We understand that his crown of thorns, the purple robe, the crowd's mocking "hails," the inscription over his head (INRI), and even the cruel chair of the cross are ironic symbols of Jesus' real kingship. They are insulting, painful, and absolutely appropriate. Jesus is the King of the Jews. So when Pilate forced Jesus onto the judge's bench and shouted "Behold your king!" he was playing out the same vicious, mock drama.
When the people shouted, "Crucify him!" they judged the judge -- and pronounced sentence on themselves. That is the ultimate irony of that fatal day.
He judges by not judging, by letting us decide what we make of him.
...because I am not alone,
but it is I and the Father who sent me.
He has said in the same Gospel, "The Father and I are one." The Christian cannot ignore that statement. We cannot say, "I believe in God" without affirming the divinity of Jesus, coequal with the Father and the Holy Spirit. Nor is that faith an idle opinion about esoteric mysteries. It is a way of life, an attitude toward the fellowship of believers, everyone who is created in the image of God, and the world for which we are responsible.
I often hear non-believers declare, "It doesn't matter what you believe, just so you do the right thing."
I say, your belief determines what you do. If you do not believe that Jesus is the Son of God your actions will judge you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.