Thursday, October 21, 2021

Thursday of the Twenty-ninth Week in Ordinary Time

 Lectionary: 476

But now that you have been freed from sin and have become slaves of God, the benefit that you have leads to sanctification, and its end is eternal life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.


We can be sure that Saint Paul's description of life without Christ as slavery to sin was greeted by many people with the same sneering disdain in his day as it might be today. Who doesn't thank God daily that they are not like the rest of men? I may not be wealthy but at least I am not poor white trash! I may not be gorgeous but I'm not as ugly as you know who! I may not be well educated but I am smarter than the average lout. And so forth. 

The people of the Roman empire were mostly slaves; and the Christian movement had a particular appeal to these common workers. When religion was more than imaginary -- as it is to most people today -- people found real freedom in belonging to Jesus despite their bondage; and the Apostle could remind them of what real slavery is. It is not having to obey your master but having to obey the cravings of your body and the self-centered impulses of your troubled soul. 

During our troubled era with its apocalyptic divisiveness descending even into our Catholic Church, we do well to notice the slavers who pursue us. That is, the hireling "influencers" and pundits, their wealthy backers, and the ideologues who tell us whom we should hate and why. Those who spend more time watching the endless news cycle than they do in prayer, study and meditation invite seven demons to possess their souls. 

"Slaves of God" listen to the Spirit of God, and not the divisive spirit of the time. They prefer the company of the peaceful to the frightened, angry, and hostile. When they're troubled, they  guard the deposit of faith and do not let themselves be snared by outlandish predictions of future doom. They know that God is still in charge and the only enemy is myself, the sinful one who is not worthy to be called a follower of Christ. 

They practice penance for themselves, their loved ones, their enemies, and their ancestors; and seek God's guidance as they make reparation and atonement. They rejoice in the gift of God which is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.