Saturday, December 25, 2021

The Nativity of the Lord (Christmas) Mass during the Day

 Lectionary 16

Break out together in song,
        O ruins of Jerusalem!
    For the LORD comforts his people,
        he redeems Jerusalem.
    The LORD has bared his holy arm
        in the sight of all the nations;
    all the ends of the earth will behold
        the salvation of our God.


"Everyday is Christmas," some like to say, or, "Everyday should be Christmas." The cheerfulness, generosity, and pleasantries of this season should be our typical, everyday modes. 

I am not entirely comfortable with the sentiment as it might provide an excuse for ignoring this most sacred day altogether. But I get it too, and I might use it for a conversation starter: How can we practice this spirit every day of the year?

The obvious answer is religion. I meet former Catholics who tell me they don't agree with the Church about some of its teachings. I answer, "Being Catholic is not agreeing to an idea or any set of ideas. Being Catholic is membership in Jesus Christ." It is a daily practice, a weekly ritual and an annual observance. 

Being Catholic begins first thing in the morning with what you wear. When I search for someone listed as Catholic and I see the chain and a medallion on his chest, I know I have found my patient. It may be a cross, crucifix, or a medal of Mary, Saint Michael, Anthony, or Benedict. It's often sterling silver, sometimes brass or gold. They wear this Catholic symbol summer and winter, in bed and at work, in the shower and under layers of clothing. There is usually a story with the item because our religion is comprised of stories. 

Many Catholics add to their clothing a rosary, which is always in their pocket or purse. "Don't leave home without it!" If some Americans are armed and fearful, Catholics are more prepared to pray. (I was recently awarded a license to carry a rosary!) The rosary is a ready companion during the morning commute; it is the goodnight kiss at bedtime. 

Because we eat every day, Catholics pray every day. It may begin with the "Morning Offering;" it may end with an Act of Contrition. Every meal is graced with prayer. 

I recommend the Liturgy of the Hours to anyone who is serious about prayer. This tradition is just as fresh and inspiring today as it was to Counter-Reformation missionaries, medieval monks, and the seventy-two disciples of Jesus. It flows in  an unbroken stream from the Jewish customs of daily temple and synagogue worship. 

The Liturgy of the Hours is complicated and sometimes confusing with many options, but that keeps it interesting as we practice it year after year, decade after decade. And modern technology provides many helpful guides. 

Plus, because it is liturgy and the prayer of the whole church, the devout can join communities of prayer in their local parish, by telephone, or online. This is a prayer of the entire earth. The Hours have standard editions which make it easy for everyone to join at a moment's notice. 

Many Catholics find simplified versions of the Hours like the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Saint Francis, or Jesus and Mary.

And, of course, daily Mass for those who are retired or can manage their schedules. The Church celebrates Mass every day, why not attend? It's what we do. The Bishops of the United States have called for a renewal of devotion to the Blessed Sacrament among Catholics, and have published an important statement called, THE MYSTERY OF THE EUCHARIST IN THE LIFE OF THE CHURCH. Be the first in your parish to read it!  

I should add that a Catholic home looks like a Catholic home with images of Mary, the Saints, and other symbols. People festoon their homes with symbols of every sort, from anodyne Walt Disney characters to diabolical fiends. What do people see in your home? 

Some people insist they are spiritual, not religious, But when I ask, "How do you DO your spirituality? " they say nothing.  As there is no body without a soul, there is no spirit without a religion of some sort, but many are misleading and some are downright evil. Our Catholic Church is guided by the Holy Spirit, who is God. 

How do you DO your Catholic? A new year begins in seven days. Let us prepare the Way of the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.