Monday, October 2, 2023

Memorial of the Guardian Angels

 Lectionary: 455/650

Thus says the LORD of hosts:
Lo, I will rescue my people from the land of the rising sun,
and from the land of the setting sun.
I will bring them back to dwell within Jerusalem.
They shall be my people, and I will be their God,
with faithfulness and justice.


The Prophet Zechariah describes a restless God who finally tires of his people's foolishness and brings them back to the Holy City to live out their days in peace. They might not be deserving but he will do it anyway.

He goes on to say: 

Just as I intended to harm you when your ancestors angered me—says the LORD of hosts—and I did not relent, so again in these days I intend to favor Jerusalem and the house of Judah; do not fear! These then are the things you must do: Speak the truth to one another; judge with honesty and complete justice in your gates. Let none of you plot evil against another in your heart, nor love a false oath. For all these things I hate.

How hard can that be? To speak the truth, judge honestly, and so forth. Jesus found that kind of simplicity in Nathaniel as he was resting under a fig tree. He said of him, “Here is a true Israelite. There is no duplicity in him.” 

The people I meet who attend Sunday and daily Masses, who volunteer in church organizations and fellowships, who staff the church picnics and fund raisers, are mostly like that. If they bear some ancient grievances they don't wear them on their sleeves. They practice both generosity and faith. 

They have found their peace in keeping life simple. They recognize there are many odd individuals in this world, people who need to show they're here with outlandish appearances, opinions, or dress; but the faithful know whose opinion matters and court that relationship. 

Zechariah describes a God who has great affection for the descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. He will not forget his covenant, and those who remember the Lord and live by his ways are blessed. 

As we celebrate the Memorial of the Guardian Angels we ask the Lord to guide our thoughts, words, and deeds that we might remain under the aegis of his Guardians. We pray for protection from the chaotic forces all around us, and that we might live with the simplicity of angels; and like the true Israelite, Nathaniel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.