Thursday, March 21, 2024

Thursday of the Fifth Week of Lent

Lectionary: 254

“Amen, amen, I say to you,
whoever keeps my word will never see death.”


No one experiences death. It's been said, for experience is a memory of something, and if there is such a memory there is no one to share it with the living. 

How does one choose death? And when must I make that fateful, fatal decision?

I witnessed the death of patients in the VA as a chaplain; and more immediately, in the past year, with the passing of several friends and close relatives. I guess that's to be expected of advancing years; I attend more funerals than baptisms. Each of my loved ones approached death differently. Not all welcomed it; some did not accept it; one took matters into his own hand. 

With healthier friends and family, we asked, "How will I approach my death? Will I be ready? Will I welcome it? Will I be terrified or resigned? Perhaps, I'll be eager to give myself to the Lord as I approach that gateway.  

Jesus predicates his teaching on death with his strongest language; they sound almost like an oath, "Amen, Amen, I say to you, whoever keeps my word will never see death.”

His opponents wonder if a young man can know anything of death. But they know only about bodily death, when people cease to breathe, move, or care, when the dying are clearly no longer present. 

They know nothing of that dying which remains present and engaged. They cannot imagine a death which radiates God's glory, which confidently announces God's mercy, compassion, infinite patience, and deep sympathy for our frail human nature. They have never seen the truth of death; they've seen only those who failed to die when their bodies failed to breathe. 

This young man who seems to know nothing of life will show the world the truth and beauty of surrendering to a God who is infinitely worthy of our life. Upon his death, a Roman centurion who was deeply familiar with death declared, "Truly, this man was the Son of God." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.