Saturday, May 18, 2024

Saturday of the Seventh Week of Easter

Lectionary: 302

It is this disciple who testifies to these things
and has written them, and we know that his testimony is true.
There are also many other things that Jesus did,
but if these were to be described individually,
I do not think the whole world would contain the books that would be written.


Perhaps Saint John's closing remark is not hyperbole. As we view the vast universe above below, and within us; as we ponder this mysterious creature, the human being; as we discover the presence and power of God in our daily life: we have to agree this small planet could not contain every marvelous account of God's wonderful works. 

As I read the Fourth Gospel with a Bible Study group this past spring, the "disciple whom Jesus loved" spoke more clearly to me. He is the witness who has not died. The Word and the Spirit still generate witnesses in every age and every generation. We're still here, and the Lord still lives and loves with us. 

John 21 ponders the mystery of the Church. In the first verses we find the disciples fishing in the Sea of Tiberias. Peter is still the leader. Nathaniel, one of the first to follow the Lord is there; as is Thomas who finished the Book with his new title for Jesus, "My Lord and my God!" Zebedee's sons are there, James and John. The latter, we assume, is the one whom Jesus loved. "And two others," which brings the number to seven. The Gospel began with an account of seven days. Seven is a fulsome number, implying completeness. We're all here. 

But the disciples seem aimless, as if they've nothing better to do than go fishing; and they're frustrated as they catch nothing. The thrill is gone.  

The story begins when Jesus appears on the shore. The mystery, adventure, revelation, and movement resume. 

But the mood remains sober; and the focus is on Peter, the man who denied knowing the Lord. After the Lord provides a breakfast for the seven, he and Peter take a walk apart from the group. The others seem okay with that; Jesus and Peter often consulted privately, out of their hearing. 

But today's Gospel concerns only Peter's question about the beloved disciple, "What about him?" Jesus does not reply; and we're reminded the Lord is still in charge of the Church, and owes no explanation to his right hand man. 

If the thrill is gone, the commands remain, "Feed my sheep!" and "Follow me." Enthusiasm is great fun and very productive, but obedience is more important. We have seen its importance as we watched Jesus march from the River Jordan to Jerusalem. 

And this spring I noticed another astonishing act of obedience, Lazarus's escape from the tomb. When he heard that voice, the dead man (four days!) sat up, got up, and came out, although he was still tightly bound by his burial clothes. If Jesus's resurrection is far beyond comprehension, this act of obedience is not far behind. 

Where did he find the willingness after lying four days in the dank darkness and fetid atmosphere of a tomb? It was there, silent, unexpected, and unknown until he heard the voice of his friend and Savior. 

I suppose he forgot himself. His sickness unto death, the grief and disappointment of dying, his idleness, inertia, and lack of Spirit: none of it mattered when he heard the voice. He might not have even said, "I'm coming out!" for there was no ego to make such a remark. That was not restored to life by the Voice of Command.

Peter, John, and the other five knew that obedience when they spotted him standing on the short; and even more so after he had prepared their breakfast of fish. Peter knew it when he realized the Lord had not only forgiven his denials but had recommissioned him to feed my sheep and tend my lambs. 

I hope that I am as obedient when that day comes. That will certainly be another Marvelous Work of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.