Friday, June 28, 2024

Memorial of Saint Irenaeus, Bishop and Martyr

Lectionary: 375

When Jesus came down from the mountain, great crowds followed him. And then a leper approached, did him homage, and said,
“Lord, if you wish, you can make me clean.”
He stretched out his hand, touched him, and said,
“I will do it.  Be made clean.”


Saint Matthew transcribed this healing of the leper from Saint Mark's gospel, and tweaked it just a bit. While the leper's words are the same, the Lord's response is different. Mark's Jesus is moved with pity, and says, "I do will it." Meaning, "Of course I want to! This is why I came!" 

Matthew does not explain the Lord's motive for healing the man. If he is moved with pity, the Evangelist says nothing about Jesus's feelings, thoughts, or internal life. The phrase stresses his authority to heal the man -- "I will do it!" -- and is immediately effective. We have just heard how the crowds who heard him pronounce his Sermon on the Mount were amazed by his authority to say these things. By curing the leper he demonstrates more than his authority to teach; he also commands sickness and health, demons and angels.

As I read the Old and New Testaments, I see the same God appearing in both, and I am less impressed by the sweet, approachable images of Jesus which are so popular today. I am sure Jesus, like every man, had a sense of humor, but I don't need to see him laughing to show he's a good old boy, just one of us. I suspect the laughing, loveable Jesus is an intentional counter to the mean old god of the Old Testament, with a faint reek of antisemitism. 

The leper in both stories is driven by desperation, and perhaps by a thirst for justice because illness insults our human dignity. The Lord is not cowed by the leper's demand, nor does he intend to prove what a nice man he is. He has been sent to heal and to restore justice. He has the authority, and will do it. 

Matthew's Jesus announces the Kingdom of Heaven and describes the people who live there. They are blessed, meek, and lowly. They grieve over innumerable sorrows and demand justice from divine and human authorities. Their need for mercy is frank; they know they suffer for their sins and the sins of the world, and they repent. For this reason they are holy, or "perfect," as God is holy and perfect. 

They have a holy fear of God and approach the Lord with reverence. Jesus does not come across like everybody's best buddy. His authority to teach and heal radiates before him like a freighter's bow wave, and they keep a respectful distance. The disciples ordinarily maintain a respectful distance from Matthew's Jesus; and Peter acts as the spokesman for the disciples as Aaron represented the people to Moses. 

And they are astonished when he blesses children and insists that they come to him without fear. If children have yet to learn how adults conduct themselves in solemn moments and holy places, their need and curiosity make them worthy to approach the Man from Galilee. But adults don't act like children in his presence. 

It used to be said, "Jesus taught adults and played with children; but priests teach children and play with adults." In the 1950's and 60's, they had time for bowling leagues, softball games, and schmoozing at cocktail and pool parties. As a seminarian, and then as a young priest, I was sometimes concerned that people would "put me on a pedestal" and not understand that I am a human being too. I got over that. I expect adults to act like adults in my presence; we can share sober moments, serious conversations, and the humor that enables fellowship and makes it enjoyable. I might not be a great man, but I hope I am not a great guy. 

I hope that Catholics are ready to move beyond the sophomoric notions of an Old Testament bearded, vindictive, punishing god and a New Testament sweet, unfailingly nice childman who wouldn't say a (bad word) if his mouth was full of (it.)  We're facing a world that is seriously, wilfully sinful, and not just sick, that is careening into self-destruction. We represent a serious promise of hope for those individuals, corporations, and nations who are ready to acknowledge their sins and turn back to the Lord's merciful justice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.