Saturday, October 12, 2024

Saturday of the Twenty-seventh Week in Ordinary Time

Collect of Our Mother of Divine Providence
Lectionary: 466

Scripture confined all things under the power of sin, that through faith in Jesus Christ the promise might be given to those who believe.

As the gospels faithfully and repeatedly insist, fidelity begins with an awareness of sin. 

John [the] Baptist appeared in the desert proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. People of the whole Judean countryside and all the inhabitants of Jerusalem were going out to him and were being baptized by him in the Jordan River as they acknowledged their sins. (Mark 1: 4)

Coming to the Lord, we admit we have violated our own integrity and the very reasonable restrictions of God's law. We have sinned; we and our ancestors have sinned. And no longer deserve to be called children of God. 

Many people say they believe in God with only a limited ownership of their sins. I'm not perfect is not an admission of personal guilt. 

Every encounter with another person -- friend, family, or stranger; alien, homeless person, or drug addict; fellow Catholic, Christian, or "none" -- begins with an awareness of God's particular mercy for me, and God's particular mercy for this other person. We stand together under the judgment of God which we pray is merciful although it can be wrathful.

The story is told -- I've probably told it in this blog -- of two monks on an overnight trek from their monastery to the nearest city. Arriving at its gates, they agreed to separate, conduct their business, reunite here under this tree, and return to the monastery.
A few hours later, the first monk returned and sat down to wait. And wait, and wait. He recited his prayers, and the rosary, and contemplated the evening skylarks, the nighthawks, hooting owls, and morning wrens.
Finally the other monk appeared, somewhat haggard. He readily admitted, "I am sorry, but I cannot return with you. I have returned to my former life of sin, and spent the night carousing. I do not deserve the title of monk. But I knew you'd be waiting so I've come to say goodbye."
His friend replied, "Listen, I've also just come back. I too spent the night in dreadful sin. But let's go back. The abbot is severe but just. He will punish us as we deserve, but he'll let us return."
Arm in arm, they returned to the path of holiness.    

If I am faced with another's sinful behavior, I am also aware of mine. I know there are this-worldly consequences to stupid and wicked behavior, not to mention the reality of death, judgment, heaven, and hell. If I believe in the mercy I have found, I am also sure of the merciful relief God offers to this unfortunate soul. If I must, in some form or another, remind others of the wrath that is withheld, I also share my hope and confident belief in the the mercy that is proffered. 

I know "the wages of sin is death," and I fear for this person. "But the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 6:23)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.