Monday, December 13, 2010

Memorial of Saint Lucy, virgin and martyr


An Indiana copse
off I-64


The chief priests and the elders of the people approached him
as he was teaching and said,
“By what authority are you doing these things?
And who gave you this authority?”

The romantic first believes he can live without authority. He doesn’t need it; he has all the wisdom and resources within himself to see clearly and choose wisely. When that belief fails the romantic turns to lesser gods, searching for something or someone to worship in this world. It might be a dictator, a lover, a cause or ideology. If all else fails there is always cynicism, greed, lust or one of many addictions.

The great question of every life is, “Whom shall I worship?” I know that I must love, honor and obey someone but who will it be? Who is worthy of my worship? Whom can I trust?

We often turn to the wrong idols. If we no longer bow down before statues of wood or ivory we still worship “other gods.” If we no longer give names to our idols we nonetheless throw ourselves with religious fervor into the fanaticism of sports or mindlessness of patriotism. I have nothing against spectator sports or good citizenship but I reserve my devotion for the God of prosperity and poverty, the God who oversees the rise and fall of nations.

In today’s first reading we encounter a magus (the singular of magi) who has been hired by the king to curse the Hebrews. Rulers often think they can direct the ire of religion in this or that direction. But Balaam, despite his willingness to take the money, still has some integrity. And so, at God’s behest, he blesses the people with prosperity and security. And then he foretells a star advancing from Jacob and a staff rising from Israel. More than a thousand years will pass before other magi see the fulfillment of his prophecy.
I see him, though not now;
I behold him, though not near:
A star shall advance from Jacob,
and a staff shall rise from Israel.

In today’s gospel we watch Jesus’ opponents as they struggle with the question of authority. Without God’s spirit they cannot acknowledge Jesus and yet their own authority is so fragile they dare not denounce him before the crowds. Because they fall silent before his counter-challenge, he can mock them, “Neither shall I tell you by what authority I do these things.”

Christmas invites us, “Come let us adore" who alone is worthy of our worship, Christ the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.