Saturday, February 26, 2011

Saturday of the Seventh Week in Ordinary Time



Amen, I say to you,
whoever does not accept the Kingdom of God like a child
will not enter it.”

The wise man said, “When I came to the monastery, I was a boy. I could see that mountains are mountains and rivers are rivers. After many years I came to understand that mountains are rivers and rivers are mountains. Now that I am an old man I see that mountains are mountains and rivers are rivers.”
I am so very fortunate to meet men and women in the VA hospital who are struggling through insights like these. They have lost their innocence in military training, combat, and much hard experience. Many have suffered multiple divorces and innumerable insults to their searching hearts. Some, seeking to ease the pain, have sought relief in cigarettes and alcohol and illicit drugs; only to have the agony rush over them again as these demons take their toll. They wonder if they will ever see as children again.
Some are angry with the Catholic Church. They don’t hesitate to cite the Scandal that has rocked our Church for the last twenty-five years as a reason for not attending. A few are victims of priests; all have been affected by it. The institution that seemed like an ivory tower of purity is smeared with filth like every other human foundation.
Sometime the only reason a Veteran lives is for the child or grandchild in his life. If he cannot find that fresh spirit in his own heart, he can protect and nourish it in a child.
I cannot judge these men and women because I know how fragile my faith is. I pray every day with the saints, “Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.” I do not know my limits but I am sure, if the temptation is strong enough, if the evil is terrifying enough, I will fall. I cannot say, “I will always be true;”
I can only say, “God will always be true to me.” From the shadow of his wings I can see the mountains are mountains and the rivers are rivers. I can see the Church is holy, innocent and still childlike in fidelity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.