Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sunday of the Eighth Week in Ordinary Time


Fr Jose

Look at the birds in the sky;
they do not sow or reap, they gather nothing into barns,
yet your heavenly Father feeds them.

The United States has been described as a nation with the soul of a church. Despite our secular foundations in the Enlightenment and our “godless” constitution – or perhaps because of them – our political decisions are profoundly influenced by our religious beliefs. Inscribed into our money is the beautiful creedal statement, “In God we trust.” We often stand up to sing “God bless America.” More American citizens attend church on Saturday evening or Sunday morning than any other western nation.
As Christians we hear repeatedly in the gospels, “Do not be afraid.” And yet we are a frightened. We have invested billions, if not trillions, of dollars in our national security, and still we lie awake at night worrying about how vulnerable we are.
One of those things we fear losing and are willing to fight for -- besides life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness – is “the American way of life.” I hear that expression often. I wonder what it means and I wonder if it’s worth fighting for.
Certainly our way of life is changing continually. And many “ways of life” are disappearing just as rapidly as animal species are going extinct. Jobs, careers and professions disappear over night. Small towns become ghost towns and neighborhoods are bulldozed for shopping malls. Some “mainline” Protestant churches might soon disappear. 
Our way of life is changing so fast that, if  I were to say, “I am old enough to remember…” a teenager would reply, “I remember when…”
Some people have dropped out of our way of life. They don’t even want to have a computer, personal cell phone or Facebook page. They smile bemusedly when people speak of texting or tweeting.  
Is tweeting worth fighting for? If someone threatens to take my cell phone should I kill him? By this time next year I’ll have another generation device anyway, I suppose.
What is this sacred American way of life? I hope it’s not the privilege of trashing perfectly good clothes, functioning electronic devices and mountains of edible food.

Some people want to enshrine the Ten Commandments in state capitals, county courthouses, and city halls. May I make a suggestion?
Let’s enshrine Matthew 6: 24-34 instead. We may or may not know the Ten Commandments but we need to hear, “Do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink, or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? ….
Your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be given you besides.”

And while we’re at it, “Look at the birds in the sky.” Aren’t they beautiful?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to write. This blog helps me to meditate on the Word of God, and I hope to make some contribution to our contemplations of God's Mighty Works.

Ordinarily, I write these reflections two or three weeks in advance of their publication. I do not intend to comment on current events.

I understand many people prefer gender-neutral references to "God." I don't disagree with them but find that language impersonal, unappealing and tasteless. When I refer to "God" I think of the One whom Jesus called "Abba" and "Father", and I would not attempt to improve on Jesus' language.

You're welcome to add a thought or raise a question.